PDA

View Full Version : new Ariel owner!!

cfm563
09-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Hello everyone. New to this site and just bought a Ariel. Been looking for awhile and came across # 238 in Alameda California. "Spirit Wind" needs a serious bath but otherwise she is in great shape. PO took care of her very well and was active in local racing fleet. She is loaded with lots of gear and I cant wait to start sorting through it all. Going to be a busy weekend. Will post some pics soon. Look forward to chatting with you all.

Martin :)

c_amos
09-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Congrats, and welcome!

Pictures! We must have pictures!

frank durant
09-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Congrats !!! You'll love both the boat and this site. A wealth of knowledge here...just spend a little time looking.The site is full of great info,mods,upgrades and ideas , as well as wit and humour.Send pics !!! #50

cfm563
09-08-2005, 09:59 AM
thank you. going to try to get some pics tonight.

Tony G
09-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Martin,

Welcome aboard and congratulations. They're right, this site is one of the best that I've seen. Lots and lots of information and years of experience to be tapped into.

I'll beat Bill to the punch and tell you, if you don't already have one, buy a manual from the association. There's a good deal of information in that baby too. Even with this site, other sailing sites and the internet in general, I still dig out the manual every couple of weeks looking for a reference or some nugget of technical data about these boats.

And of course, lots and lots of pictures. Right now I'm really into boot stripes and waterlines :D

Tony G

cfm563
09-08-2005, 01:28 PM
actually, I got real lucky. The PO was a member and already has the manual. I have been reading it already. Also found out about the rudder post and sink drain issues. Good thing too, because the sink drain hose on this boat had fallen off- good thing the valve was closed!!

mbd
09-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Martin,

Welcome to the board! I got my Ariel this summer and LOVE IT! As you can see, our boats have some similarities. :)

cfm563
09-09-2005, 07:19 AM
I can see that! very cool. I gave her a thorough washing yesterday. Took me over 2 hrs just to do the decks and hull. This weekend, its time to do the interior. Thinking about painting over the wood laminate on the bulkead and cabinets. Any tips on preeping the laminate? Can I just rough sand it, primer and paint? I figure teh white paint would go great with the varnished drawers and cabinets. Would gibe the cabin a brighter look.

Mike Goodwin
09-09-2005, 07:36 AM
I sanded the fake wood with 80 grit and painted it.
There is an industrial paint from Pittsburg Paints called Pitt-tech or Pittech et. al. anyway it is waterbased and hard as nails when dry . It is made for re-painting aluminum siding , it is $24 to $30 a gallon ( depends on your connections ) and worth every penny . Use 2 coats and it looks like a million bucks . No primer needed on laminate .

Get #45 and you can have a boat on both coasts !

It is Pitt-Tech from PPG .

cfm563
09-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Thank you, I will check on that paint. Cant wait to tackle this project on Saturday and maybe take her out for a little sail on the Alameda/Oakland estuary on Sunday. Hull # 45, thats an early one. When was she built?

frank durant
09-10-2005, 06:06 PM
#45 would be a 1962