PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this nautical object is?

Anthony/Bina
09-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Cimg0542.jpg

Mike Goodwin
09-08-2005, 04:09 AM
Looks like a bosun's chair , is it about 2 to 3 feet long ?

mrgnstrn
09-08-2005, 05:39 AM
if it is only a 18" or so long...it could be a mast cradle/sling.
attach the main halyard through the grommets, slip it over the end of the boom, and voile'...no need for a topping lift.
Any other ideas?

c_amos
09-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Olive Oil is going to be awfully embarrassed when she sees that you have posted her laundry on the internet. ;)

commanderpete
09-08-2005, 08:58 AM
You strap that to the outside of the hull to plug the hole after striking a Buoy.

Standard equiptment.

And no more cracks about my goil Olive :mad:

frank durant
09-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Looks to me like the 'wrap' given to use to put around your furled headsail(if you have furling) to attach a cruising chute to. It allows the drs-cruising chute (whatever ya want to call it) to slide up and down the furled headsail .Post the winning answer when ya find out for sure.I heard the winner recieves an all expense paid charter in the virgin islands.

eric (deceased)
09-24-2005, 10:16 AM
its most likely a boom sling supported by a halyard or topping lift.those grommets dont look very sturdy.

rcsails
09-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Couldn't be a bosun's chair. Anyone who's spent any time aloft understands how something like that would force one's legs together very uncomfortably.

I also doubt it's a spinnaker tack support as the design is pretty old, probably from before roller furled sails were on the forestay and a "Tacker" was used to pull the spinnaker tack to weather as much as possible. Come to think of it, asymmetricals probably weren't used then either...

At first I also thought it might be a boom support of some type, but given the type of grommet and very small reinforcement patch I'd say it's either for a very small boom, as a type of temporary topping lift, or, more likely, a galley hip strap missing it's connection lines and snaps on either side.

Anthony/Bina
09-26-2005, 11:15 AM
wow, there are a lot of ideas for this piece of canvas.

I sure hope it isn't a bosun's chair, it seems dangerous.

I think it is a boom crutch. It looks about the right size to wrap around the back of the boom...

I already have a topping with so I'm not sure what the purpose of this is? did all the commanders, stock with a topping lift?

tha3rdman
05-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Is it a "tacker"? seen one in wests catalog, wraps around a furled headsail, so you can hand another smaller sail.