PDA

View Full Version : Haabet Hull 133

walberts
08-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Haabet in Oxford MD.
In Annapolis with "Tubby" our Zodiac Cadet.

Tony G
08-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Very Nice!! She looks very inviting. I mean, I wish I was there now.

How about some info on your didger and bimini?

How do you like the Zodiac? A guy oughtta start thinking about one pretty quick here.

walberts
08-31-2005, 06:53 AM
Everything is compromise. We were told that the smallest Zodiac would be too small. We would want a larger one right away. But I wanted an inflatable that would get us ashore and back, and would not be to big or too heavy to deal with.

We bought the smallest Zodiac made...the Cadet. It weighs 38 pounds and has no fixed flooring. There are transverse plastic stiffening planks that roll up with the boat when we're done. I put 3 old seat cushions in on top of the planks to help stiffen the flooring. We sit on the tubes anyway and the cushions help distribute the load when you step in.

We use a 2 stroke 2 hp Yamaha motor ... about 27 pounds... and we go from stowed in the v berth to fully deployed in 20 minutes with no rushing. Same in reverse.

The boat has very little directional stability because it has almost no keel. So it took a little getting used to ... It's excellent for doing doughnuts ... Seriously though, it works fine. Two people a reasonable amount of gear can make it from the shore to the boat in one trip. I can launch and retreive it by myself with no problems. I do the inflation and deflation on the coach roof and slide her in over the side.

So it's a compromise that may not be right for everyone, but we love it. Right now, Tubby is stowed in the v-berth and ready for use. The engine is in the port locker. They're a good fit for the Ariel and for us.

I'll post some pictures soon.

Tony G
08-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Who was it that said 'go small, go now'...or in about twenty minutes :D I like the idea. It's a dink not a tender, after all.

How about the goods on your didger? If not, maybe your dodger then?

Thanks, Tony G

walberts
09-01-2005, 07:58 AM
The dodger was made by "INDodger" on City Island, NY. Island Nautical INc. 225 Fordham St, P.O. Box 207, City Island NY 10464 718-885-2295. It was made about 6 or 7 years ago. It has held up well.

The "bimini" isn't really a bimini at all. It's a zip on sunshade that works fine for motoring, or sailing with the jib alone, but you can't use the main because the shade is fitted around the mainsheet when it is deployed.

We thought about getting a proper bimini but have not yet. The shade is excellent at anchor to keep off the dew and shelter the cockpit in a rainstorm.