PDA

View Full Version : what a group !!!

frank durant
08-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Just back from sailing in the 'north channel' up at the north end of lake huron for a week. BEAUTIFUL !!! One of THEE finest cruising grounds in the world.. bare none !! What really impressed me is all the activity on this site when you're away for a week !! This has to be one of the most active and passionate owners groups on the web !! I've got a lot of catching up to do. Bill....ya got to be PROUD !!! Keep up the exchanges group.

SailorLiz
08-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Frank,

Where did you sail into the N. Channel? We also sailed there two seasons ago. There is so many places to gunkhole that I think it would take at least 6 months of sailing to see it all. Next time we go, I want to take a month or two.

:D

frank durant
08-10-2005, 07:57 PM
I agree with you Liz...it would take ALL of 6mths to see 'most' of that cruising grounds.We left from Killarney, crossed a bit of Georgian bay to Collins inlet, had a brisk run all the way down Collins inlet to Mill lake. Anchored there one night..explored by dingy..hiked.Then back out (wind on the nose) to Thomas bay for one night..beautiful view and nice breese off the lake kept bugs down. Next back through Killarney (beer) down Landsdown channel,across Frazer bay , up Baie Fine to Mary Ann cove for a night. Good hiking up hill with spectacular views and 25ft rock diving.Next sailed down Baie Fine to 'the pool'.More diving and up hill hiking. Warm small lake about 350ft up with great diving rocks. GREAT place for kids ! Kinda re traced our route back.Got caught in a blow on frazer bay on the return, but it was fun reefed down.Thats as far as we got Liz...Definately back next year !! Duck island further west has great sand dunes...and few cruisers , so headed there next year.

SailorLiz
08-11-2005, 05:09 AM
Frank,
It sounds like a great cruise. We sail from the "other end" of the Channel (Drummond Island). Duck Island? I'll have to look that one up on the chart. We found Sanford Island was a great place to anchor. Nice beach on the island. No rocks to dive from. (I wouldn't do that anyway, as I'm not crazy about heights). Do you have any pics of your cruise? :)

frank durant
08-11-2005, 05:48 AM
Liz...our 'buddy' boat took most of the pics.They still have 2 more weeks up there (lucky ! ) They will e-mail me pics on their return and I'll post a few then.