PDA

View Full Version : Ariel #331

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:00 PM
We have found a boat that is not in the registry, and it’s right here in the SF Bay Area :eek: Ariel #331 was recently acquired by John Apley who, interestingly, is a live aboard on a power boat in the same marina -- Richmond’s Harbor Bay marina. Nice marina with wide concrete docks and gangways.

Sorry to report that the boat is in pretty neglected shape. I believe the former owner was aging and developing physical disabilities which eventually forced the sale of the boat.

John is just starting the cleaning and repair routine, and there’s lots of work to be done. But, one of its previous owners ("PO") made some interesting interior modifications. The PO evidently had some ideas for making things more comfortable for cruising the Bay and Delta -- definitely NOT a racer.

John, I believe, does not have internet access and may not own a computer.

Let’s begin with an outside view [Note -- We found only one small soft spot in the deck]:

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Here's a view of the cockpit & mainhatch. Condition of all the exterior wood trim is poor.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:02 PM
View of cabin from mainhatch. Not that the hanging locker and vanity have both been removed making the quarter berths that much longer. Must have been tall people. :confused: [Note -- Door also is gone from the companionway.]

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:04 PM
The PO added lead just aft of the head. Also, the original pigs are stuffed way forward in the bilge. Appears there may be an extra 200 pounds of ballast. Should really stiffen up the boat :)

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Forcabin bunk & chain locker. Not insert to make bunk larger.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:10 PM
View of chain locker and added bulkhead. Chain was kept in the forward most compartment and there is a hawsepipe fitting above. The blue hose in the H2O hose going to the water tank.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Starboard bunk & stowage.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Port bunk and stowage. The backrest cushion is actually one of the cockpit cushions.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Here it is with the cushion out of the way.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:15 PM
The maincabin steps have drawers for storage.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Upper drawer step removed

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Both drawer steps removed

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Ops, here's the view with the step drawers and hatch open

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:19 PM
Where the stove is stowed.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:20 PM
The part of the icebox inside the cabin was removed and there is a shelf / chart table in its place. The original ice compartment is still there and is only accessible from the cockpit. (A cockpit drink holder?).

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:21 PM
There is an opening into the port cockpit locker from the galley for a garbage drop!

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Here is the garbage door open . .

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Here is one of the items added to make life easier for the PO. A grab rail to help in getting into and out of the forecabin bunk.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:25 PM
And, a grab rail under the forecabin hatch . .

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Neat cabin convenience light -- one on each side of companionway.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Here's one (actually two) of the most interesting customizations. No 1 is the new battery location -- under the port side of the forecabin berth.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:29 PM
No 2 is the location of the "new" icebox -- under the starboard side of the forecabin berth. The new box was made from the original one, and the lid is actually the door from the old icebox.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:31 PM
Here on the foredeck are the water input fixture, hawsepipe and ventilator. [It actually says "fuel" on the water input :eek: The original water fill fixture remains, but not sure of its purpose. Probably too much work to remove.

Bill
07-30-2005, 04:37 PM
There's probably more, but by the time I finished the shoot, I was overloaded with data :o There may be usefull ideas here for some, but A-331 is certainly an interesting collage of modifications that were intended to increase the PO's comfort.

Mike Goodwin
07-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Did you notice the 'tide line' on the cabin steps , almost to the top of the bunks !

She has less than half as much mildew as #45 did when I got her .

Bill
07-30-2005, 05:16 PM
The hose fell from the sink drain and . . . well, we all know what happens when the hose falls from the sink drain and there is not a closed seacock . . . :(

Scott Galloway
07-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Bill,

Tell John that I have his main bullkhead on my boat, Augustine, Hull #330, Here's my photo of last summer to prove it along with the original 1965 plan drawing of the Ariel Schooner. If John decides to peel off the formica on his main bulkhead over the door, I would be interested in knowing if a different hull number is afixed thereon. :)

Bill
07-30-2005, 10:28 PM
Very interesting! I'll let him know.

ebb
07-31-2005, 07:56 AM
338 is SO glad 331 has found her new project manager.

Bunch of nice subtle changes that must have made sailing her and living with her much more fun. Longer berths, removing the boxy furniture, wider kitchen counter, 'garbage chute!' The pigs up front must mean she did some sailing befor her forced retirement.

Keep that forensic eye on her, Bill!

epiphany
08-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Good to see the battery up front, been planning on doing the same.

I will be putting 2 Trojan T105 (6V golf cart batteries, rigged in series to make it a 12V system) up there, soon, one to each side. Locally, I can get the pair of T105's for $130, which'll be 225Ah for the house bank. Can beat 'em for the price - they cost about 1/2 of a "marine" battery of similar Ah capacity from a famous western marine store... :)

c_amos
08-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Whoever the prior owner was, he sure had an immagination.

I like the Chain locker mod, have been struggling to figure out how to better use this area. I like the shelf others have added, but don't want the added weight up high. That mod might be seen on #226. :cool:

The ice box cut down is a good idea too, I don't regret removing mine but that mod might be done in a way to partially achieve two of the goals of the mod (at least in my mind). I wanted to gain interior space (which the shelf he added helps). I would also think that the smaller, re-worked box could be made more weather safe, so that ice box lid would not be the liability that it seemed to me to be.

Kurt and I had discussed his plans to move his batteries fwd EXACTLY like this, just two weeks ago. It seems to me that moving the weight low, and fwd (about where many add lead) is a really good idea.

As for the stowage under the steps, well, #338's original cabin door is doing pretty much the same thing aboard #226 (thanks again Ebb). Using this space just makes too much sense to me.

Personally I would not want to remove the 'furnature' without some kind of replacement, but then as a cruiser, racer, and part time liveaboard I keep entirely too much crap aboard to do without it.

I look forward to seeing this boat come back! Good luck. :D

Che
06-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Just wanted to share with the community a picture of my first SailBoat. "Che" is a 1965 Pearson Ariel Hull #331. I am really glad to have found this forum and I look forward to interacting with you all in the near future. I am very interested in finding out the history of this particular boat...perhaps even reconnecting with past owners..etc. I believe Che started out in Sausalito and as chance would have it...will be back in Sausalito next week.

tha3rdman
06-12-2006, 05:15 AM
331 Where have i seen that before . . . Scott Gallloway, but funny it doesnt look like the sketch :)

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=797&highlight=cave+drawing

Bill
06-23-2006, 08:55 PM
This just in. There is a new owner for A-331. His note reads:

Hi Bill...
Just going through the Discussion section of the website I came across pictures of Ariel #331 that I just purchased from a guy in the Richmond Marina. I would be interested in getting in contact with John or anybody else that may have a bit more info on my new boat. It does need some work...but she sailed quite alright when I brought her over to Sausalito...I look forward to hearing from you....

Sincerely

Adam

eric (deceased)
06-23-2006, 09:55 PM
really neat fotos from the start.the worst place to put a water tank filling receptical....on the bow.if yer' going to voyage into the realm of dragons----modify the filler so as it can be filled from below deck.thats as bad as putting a fuel receptical in the cockpit floor---jus' awaitin' fer' seawater intrusion.I think nowadaize we'd call that a "design flaw" :eek:

Adam
06-24-2006, 12:14 PM
So what's the deal with Adams buying Ariels? Alliterative Adam Ariel accquirers?

:)

AndyK
07-05-2006, 04:55 AM
When I was living in the Bay Area in 2002, I had the idea of getting back into sailing. While looking for a small boat that I could single-hand, I saw an ad for an Ariel, and I even remember looking on this website for info (though I didn't register then). I liked the idea of a sturdy and steady boat for the San Francisco Bay, and I liked her lines, so I went for a test sail.

I didn't look for the hull number, but from the pictures here, I'm fairly certain it was the same one. The depth sounder, the drawers, battery under the berth, and the water fixture on the foredeck all look familiar. And I remember the light blue anti-slip deck which had a soft spot. What looks new is the extra V-berth insert and the trash door. Also, I don't remember so much mold on the deck, it looks like she hasn't sailed much since then.

The boat was in Sausalito at the time, and the owner's name was Lance. He was a young lawyer from the city who just bought a steel boat to sail around the world instead of trying to make partner right away. I remember he also had a Land Rover that wasn't much younger than the Ariel, so I knew he had good taste in vehicles. I assume he was the previous previous owner, meaning that the PO didn't have it for very long.

I passed up my chance to buy it because I was hoping to get him to come down the cost of a haul-out. Maybe I just didn't know the true value of an Ariel. Having since moved to Hawaii, I wonder if I would've dared to sail her here (stories anyone?--just found Eric's (http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=927), well done). Anyways, I'm thinking of getting out on the water again, and I'm lurking here because that Ariel is the closest I've been to owning a boat. I never thought I'd see her again, so I had to register and share my story.

ebb
07-05-2006, 06:41 AM
"Louis(Andy), I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." :D

Che
07-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Just wanted to share with everybody a few of the projects I have going on right now...

Should have my main cabin battens in tomorrow...and then start finishing the modified lockers. I know I am losing space with these locker designs...but I wanted to maintain both long berths. More to come...

Che
07-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Here are the roughed in lockers...

Che
07-15-2006, 09:20 PM
A few pics looking into the lockers...The boat is slowly coming along. I have redone the running rigging...slowly plugging away on rebedding hardware...Standing rigging will be replaced sometime soon...the list goes on. This is my first sailboat and I must say I am sold on the Ariels!!! Will keep you all posted....Any advice...thoughts...recommendations...critique's.. .are always welcome...

mbd
07-16-2006, 05:10 AM
Looks good! I love that "bead board" or "panel" look - what's the proper term? It's nice to see another creative interior design coming together.

What are you planning on using the little nooks for? Shelving?

Mike Goodwin
07-16-2006, 05:55 AM
Actually that is traditionally called a ceiling or ceiling planking when installed in a wooden boat. Gives extra strength to the hull and protects the frames and hull planking from damage from within, like if something got loose in the hold.
On the 122' schooner I just worked on , we installed 2 1/2" thick ceiling planks.

In the photo , the lower of the three is the first of the ceiling planks, above that is the sheer clamp and above that is the beam shelf. The deck beams are fitted into and on the baem shelf.

mbd
07-16-2006, 07:52 AM
That goes from "oh, isn't that a nice detail" to :eek: !! Truly impressive.

Che
07-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Wow...
The work on that Schooner is amazing...my ceiling planks are not going to be quite as beefy but I guess the support stringers do provide some support to the Hull. I like having the ability to really lean back against the hull...find it more comfortable. As far as the lockers go...I am probably going to set up some sort of shelving system on both for food, clothes, general storage..and perhaps a bottom portion of one will be for Wet Weather Gear...and rig a drain to the Bilge...not quite sure. Will keep everyone posted...All ideas welcome...

Thanks

Che
07-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Well my work on #331 is coming along...Here are a few updated pics...

Che
07-27-2006, 09:05 AM
One More...

frank durant
07-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Lookin GOOD !!! Neat to see different peoples ideas come to life.I build houses and could never figure out why those 'schooner builder' types call walls-cielings,but I guess when you'r heeled far enough over ,they become the cieling ! Anyhoot...keep up the good work and new ideas coming.Great to see new blood in Ariel work.

Mike Goodwin
07-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Yeah and "floors" are not what you walk on , but they hold the frames (ribs) together and attach them to the keel .
Every pair of frames has a floor , these are bronze , the ones way aft are wood.

frank durant
07-27-2006, 06:17 PM
33yrs in construction.......now I'm really :confused: cunfused !!...but that seems to take less and less these days.What ever ya call it thats gettin done to 331...I like it.More pics please (Ariel that is) :p

Che
07-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Here are a few more...Thanks for the feedback...Will keep you all posted...

Che
07-29-2006, 07:28 PM
One more...Reduce, Recycle, Reuse....you can see the blue tape in this shot...considering I took out both shelves in the main cabin..I had some nice long pieces of teak...which have been cut to size...and are now acting as trim on my Galley table...a few coats of stain and Poly and it should last for another 40 years...well maybe... :) I am sold on the ceiling planks...very comfy just sitting back into the curve of the Hull...More to come...

erahdg
10-17-2006, 01:29 PM
I just bought a '66 Ariel in about the same shape. Don't know the hull number yet but it's going to be worthwhile work. Eric

Che
10-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Sounds good Eric..
I should have some updated pics of "Che" in the next few days...would love to see what you scored...They are fun boats to both work and sail on....Good luck

Che
10-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Here are few more pictures of Che:
New Topside Non-Skid Paint...
New 3/8 Lexan Windows...
New Teak Hand Rails...

frank durant
11-01-2006, 05:57 AM
I was lookin at your 'before' pics.....really lookin GOOD !! While your through bolted port lights may not be as 'pretty'...they will sure be safer. That was a concern I had out in the 'big stuff'. At 3/8th in and bolted in,they gotta be strong and safe.

Tony G
11-01-2006, 10:08 AM
I agree. Looking really good. She has very clean lines and the fresh paint accentuates them. It can't be said enough, these boats just look good wether they're loaded for cruising or stripped down and in the middle of a rehab project.
I gotta ask, did you have any issues getting the 3/8" lexan to conform to the compound curves of the cabin top? I haven't tried yet although, I've eyed the task ahead numerous times hoping to solve any problems before they happen. (yeah, right) What can I say, I'm a dreamer...

Che
11-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback...
When I received the 3/8 inch Lexan from Tap Plastics...I was worried that it would not conform to the Cabin Top Contours...Surprisingly it does...I know the windows are little short of stock..however I feel good with the fact that they are overkill...and my offshore "Aqua" intake will be ZERO!! First rain is almost upon us...hopefully the boat will stay as dry as it has the past 4 months:) Here is another rough pic of the interior...

Che
11-01-2006, 04:31 PM
One more...The Bulkhead is going to be covered w/ wood this week and stained the same stain as the Ceiling Boards along the hull...will keep you posted...And I must agree...these boat look amazing! The lockers you see are in a holding pattern for now until I get my External Chainplates Installed...Hopefully sometime soon... More to come....

epiphany
11-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Looking good, Che. I'll be doing the same thing as you have done, mounting the lexan for deadlights externally.

I like your main cabin ceilings a lot, too. Nice looking grain in that wood. :)

Che
11-11-2006, 09:45 PM
My Bulkhead is coming along...more pics to come...

mbd
11-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Sweet! That'll be one sleek and classy interior when you're done.

BTW, how did you attach the handrail to the underside of the coach roof?

Che
05-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Well alot has happened to Che since my last posting...I will put together the pics and post a big update in the next day or so. I hauled Che out this past weekend...all went well....More to come...

Tim Mertinooke
05-02-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm lovin' the strips of wood on the cabin walls and the external chainplates. I would be very interested in seeing and hearing some details on the chainplate installation. I am flirting with the idea for #24. Keep up the good work and keep those pictures coming!

Tim

tha3rdman
05-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Yes the external chain plates, did you goto the outside of the existing knees, or the inside?, did the stays need lengthened? Did you reinforce the interior glass? How thick was the existing glass in the area?

Che
05-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Here are a few pics....

Che
05-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Gimbaled Lamps for the evening....

Che
05-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Force 10 Drop In Two Burner....Don't leave home without it :)

Che
05-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Strongback reinforcement...
3/8" Aluminium Strips on both sides...Thru-Bolted...Not going anywhere.

Che
05-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Little Swing Out Table for Cutting on when cooking....

Che
05-06-2007, 08:58 PM
New Mainsheet set-up...Windvane....Propane Tank Location...and my $30 Swap Meet Tiller...

Che
05-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Yes...Che officially has a Baby Blue Hard Dodger...made out of 1/8" Mahogany Door Skin and Two-Three Layers of 29 oz Glass...Still needs finishing...but it is a start....

Che
05-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Another shot of the Dodger...Looking forward...

Che
05-06-2007, 09:08 PM
My Co-Pilot....

Che
05-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Propane Location For Now...More pics to come...I will be installing my newly acquired LED Tri Color sometime this week...I've decided on going with Handheld GPS Units and a small little Hummingbird Puck Depthfinder for my navigation and depthsounding set up.....See you all soon...

Che
08-07-2007, 11:03 PM
My 5500 pound El Toro....:)

ebb
08-09-2007, 06:47 AM
NICE JOB, Adam,
She's ready for adventure!

And I like the 'setsail' series of shots that not so symbolically show her comandante physically launching Che into her new life. In that first photo you could swear she's stretched her pride into a 30' waterline, so ready she is to fly!

Your galley looks perfect, and friendly. Really nice.
Like your 'dynamic dodger, should do everything a dodger is asked to do, including being a home for some flexible solar panels. Looks right-on at different angles, nice proportions. Doesn't detract from the lines at all!

Tidy wind vane. Looks good on the stern. WHOSE?
What a transformation - when we follow her fortune from the beginning of this thread!!!
Inspiration!

Viva la revolucion!:cool:

Che
08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks for your comments EBB. Che is indeed coming along....The Galley is really comfortable...the Monitor windvane continues to amaze me....I managed to scrap together a decent inventory of sails....the dodger keeps me warm and dry....and we will be heading down to Half Moon Bay for a little shake down run next weekend. I stopped by your boat the other day, after an all you can eat Indian Restaurant stop, but it was all boarded up. I did notice the Triton a few spaces down from you....as well as that cute wooden boat a few spaces down from the Triton...Any idea what sort of boat that is? More pics to come....

Bill
08-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Maybe you could get a buddy boat to snap some shots of you entering Pillar Point Harbor? Can be really exciting in the afternoon :D

Che
08-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Bill,
Buddy Boats are always welcome....Any takers? I'm thinking about starting the Alberg Buddy Boat Association (ABBA)...the only prerequisites would be owning an Alberg designed sailboat of your choice, having the desire to voyage in these beautiful boats, and not liking the song "Dancing Queen". Look out for ABBA in the near future....Carl would have dug it!!!:D

Che
08-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Che heading under the Golden Gate....

mbd
08-19-2007, 10:50 AM
That is one incredible picture!

Che
08-20-2007, 11:28 PM
A friend captured a few shots out on the water...

Che
08-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Go Che Go!!!!

joe
08-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Between you and Tim (Ariel 24), I'm not going insane at my desk, wishing I was out sailing:)
Thanks for posting the GREAT pics:)

mbd
08-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Nice to know there are other desk jockeys suffering along with me... :D

bill@ariel231
08-22-2007, 01:11 PM
great looking boat.. I like the wind vane!

Che
10-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Had a great time sailing in the Singlehanded Sailing Society Vallejo 1+2 Race...Che made it up and made it back....Resting in Vallejo...Also noticed a fellow Ariel won their division in the East Bay Estuary Race....A Boat Named CAT WALK...Does anybody know the owner? The Boat? If the weather works out...planning on a weekend trip up to Drake's Bay...Should be fun...

mbowman
10-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Che, after I sent you the message, I looked up your boat. It looks very nice from the first photo. do you have any more? So you sail out in California? Man I hear the wind is awesome there. I do miss the open water.... but at least we're sailing.
How's the inside look?
mike

Che
10-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Pictures to come....Had a great sail this past weekend out on the ocean. Pretty crazy conditions with 12-14 ft seas and winds ranging anywhere from 15-25 Knots gusting 30 at times. Che handled the conditions wonderfully. We beat out about 30 miles and then had a wonderful broad reach back in. I had no idea how well these boats surf!!! We averaged 7.5 knots on the ride back in...and it was a wild ride...as I mentioned the GPS was showing a consistent 7.5 knots but with a double reefed main + working Jib....we were coming off some waves at 10...11 knots...with our max speed topping out at 13.6knots!!!! These little boats are right at home in the big stuff....and with the Dodger + Weather cloth additions to my boat...It was a rather dry ride...Pics to come...

frank durant
10-24-2007, 05:24 AM
Makes me reflect back to the very best day sailing of my life. I tried crossing from the keys to Bimini but it was into the wind and fuel was running out.About 10 knm from Bimini I aborted the crossing decided to sail up to Lake Worth inlet.The fastest,most exciting sail ever.A close reach in increasingly heay seas..Revival simply romped along, in complete control.The wind ended up aroung 22-24knts in the gulfstream.The way she handled the conditions was amazing...these are FINE offshore boats. Thanks Carl;) PS..love your chain plates

ebb
10-24-2007, 08:02 AM
well-found
well-handled
well-favored

Che can fly
and so can her skipper

mbowman
10-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Wow, now Che, that's awesome Sailing! Reminds me of Sailing in Mobile Bay on a very good day. I hear you West Coast guys get that wind all the time! We only get that kind of wind when I am working:( When we hit the water, the wind stops:confused: Oh well ... hey hows that Solar Panel working? Do yo have to use power regulator? And what all do you need power for?

mbowman
10-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Adam, what head sails do you have? I have a fair amount of sails to get rid of, including a spinaker, genoa, and some storm sails... if you need some let me know.
mike

Lucky Dawg
10-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Pretty crazy conditions with 12-14 ft seas and winds ranging anywhere from 15-25 Knots gusting 30 at times....

Holy Moley!! I want to see those pictures!! Can I come sail with you??

Che
10-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Here are a few pics from our most recent adventure...these pics were taken early on before the wind starting kicking up. It is amazing how the long period ground swell doesn't read very well on these pics...We were beating out the Main Channel and there were breakers on the North & South Bar...I had the full main up with a 140% clipping along between 5.5-6.0 knots. Monitor Windvane Steering...Life is good! As the wind picked up...we reefed in the Main still flying the 140%...Reefed Main and a 90%...and finally a Double Reefed Main and the 90%. I look forward to the next adventure...The last picture in this sequence is my buddy's boat...a Valient 32...Makes you wonder what Che was looking like from his perspective. More pics to come....

ebb
11-01-2007, 05:59 AM
Adam, great pix.
Your dodger flows so well with Alberg's lines, himself might have designed it.

Dodger is reminiscent of Marcel Bardiaux's Les 4 Vents who built his boat and circumnavigated singlehand via Cape Horn in the '50s.

Lucky Dawg
11-01-2007, 08:37 AM
It is amazing how the long period ground swell doesn't read very well on these pics...

Attempts to capture wave magnitude in photos never seems to do justice. I worked for three months on a 220' Japanese fishing trawler in the Bering Sea after grad school and my photos from the deck of 30' seas looked unremarkable.

More pictures! What a beautiful place to sail.

Che
11-01-2007, 09:35 AM
EBB...
Thanks for your kind words on the Dodger...I am very pleased with how it turned out and I also think it suits the Alberg Lines. It has really transformed the way I live on and sail this boat. I especially like the angle of the two forward windows because it allows me to stand below in the Companionway...look up....and see what is going on with my sails while I am underway. It also makes for a dry ride....More pics to come....

Che
01-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Just checking back in with the Forums....The Singlehanded Sailing Society's first race of the season is coming up on the 26th of Jan....Is anyone else in the Ariel contingent planning on racing? I'm excited about the upcoming season....Hope all is well with everyone....

Tim D.
02-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi all, just to let you know I will be posting updates once I get going on her in the #331 thread in the Gallery section. Adam has done a wonderful job of getting her seaworthy, I will now be setting her up for cruising. Undoubtedly I will have lots of questions from the group. I plan to re setup the motor well as well.
Tim

MJR
02-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Tim,
Congradulations!
How are things with "Che"? Very curious.
Michael

Tim D.
02-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks Michael,
Che is still happily berthed in Richardson Bay. Weather being as it has, it's has been difficult for Adam to finish clearing off they vane and for me to get much done.
It looks as though she will remain there into Spring with me going down as much as I can (3 hours north of) to finish out some electrical work on her. Hopefully I will get some good sailing in while she is there. I had been hoping to trailer her up to my place for some more intensive finish work and outfitting, but I have as of yet to find a trailer.
Once outfitted she will make the move up to Anacortes/Bellingham for cruising.
Tim

MJR
02-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Tim,
Did you look into contacting registered user "Rico" regarding his trailer?
He may be able to help you out.
Michael

Tim D.
03-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Although I haven't got much sailing in yet (weather and schedule), I have begun work on Che. First off I cut out the cover that was put on the motor well, as I will be dropping a 5hp Honda into there for the time being.

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=4729&stc=1&d=1205109118

Next I have begun to reconfigure the electrical system. The batteries had been underneath the top step on a shelf, with the charger, battery switch and solar controller under the sink. I will be moving the batteries into cases under the bottom step.

The other hardware along with a new fuse panel will be located under the top step with access through the existing door. I realize that directly under the companionway is not the ideal place, the convenience of having it all together has won out.

In order to fit the batteries in boxes I had to cut down the lower drawers, but for my use they will be fine.
http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=4730&stc=1&d=1205109732

I will post some pics when I have it reassembled.

That's it for now, but in order to maintain the legacy,

...Seremos Como El Che...

Tim D.
03-29-2008, 09:50 PM
So I pretty much have the rewiring done, placing switch, fuses and controllers under the top step with batteries underneath

I also moved the switches from there original location over my galley to a panel above my chart table with the radio. This area will also have a plug for the GPS

The original switch box has been changed to a housing for the depth sounder and outside 12v outlet on the outside and solenoid switch for the LPG on the inside.

You may notice that in order to run new wires to the original switch box I had to open up the corner of the chase. apparently some of the original wiring had been resined into the chase making pulling new wires very difficult. I did though manage to get them all in there including the transducer pick-up wire.

epiphany
03-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Good use of the old switch box/panel. I've been wondering how hard it's going to be to pull those wires out. :)

Tim D.
06-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I have not managed to get a whole lot more done on #331 mostly because of the distance between me and the boat and gas prices. :(

But that is about to change:)

This last week i picked up a new trailer from "Quality Trailers out of Bellingham WA. Customized "King" trailer for the Ariel, I sent them the line drawing from the manual and they made one very pretty trailer, don'tcha think?

epiphany
06-21-2008, 03:53 PM
...and I've got dibs on first place in the "Hey Tim, Can I Borrow..." list. :D

Tim D.
08-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I am in the middle of a very slow refinishing of Mariah and because I have to do an extensive rework of the lazarette including putting a propane locker in and rebuilding the lip for the cover, I am considering opening up the well to the rear in order to acomodate a larger engine in the future. Without getting into a discussion about engine size needed four strokes tend to be larger than the two strokes when the design was made.

I would like to cut back to the transom, adding a structural brace along the bottom.

http://www.pbase.com/morningdove/image/109086293/medium.jpg

I am assuming that it would not create a structural problem and compared to Ebb's work it is minor ;)

Scott Galloway
08-14-2009, 05:29 PM
The thing that is going to get you is the larger cavitation plate that you will find on most new motors. It is not that the motor housing is larger, but instead that the plate is longer and won't fit down the well if the length and width of the well remain the same as in the original design. The Nissan 6 hp four stroke will fit just fine and Honda also makes a "Honda Classic" four stroke, which I think is a 7.5 hp, and that will probably fit if you open up the aft send of the well as you discussed to accommodate the larger top end, but you do not have to cut a hole in the transom to accomplish that. Here is what a prior owner did on my Ariel to accommodate an older version of the Honda 7.5 four stroke. (See photo below). I was told by a dealer that the Honda Classic has the same dimensions. By the way, there is also a lot of weight difference between the Honda 7.5 and the much lighter Nissan 6, but more power in the Honda for sure.

John
08-17-2009, 05:28 AM
That's an interesting picture, Scott. My Commander came with a 9.9 Evinrude and the PO had a different idea. He raised the mounting plate. I have to drop the motor through the hole diagonally so that becomes more of a problem, as I continue to rack up the minutes (years...or something). I am thinking of making a hoist for raising the mast. I have seen diagrams of such being bolted to the center stay tangs and standing slightly higher than the spreaders. If it would extend over the stern, then that would be a big help in getting the motor up in the boat and dropping it into the well. I haven't put a tape to this yet, so I don't know the length from the tangs to the stern of the boat.

carl291
08-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Tim
Viewing your trailer photos I noticed no leaf springs, Are those solid mounted axles or torsion tube axles?
Are you planning on launching from the trailer?
Carl

Tim D.
08-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Hi Carl,
Yes they are torsion tubes, and I do not plan on launching from the trailer, unless I absolutely had to. Getting it off wouldn't be too bad putting her back on would.
Tim

Scott Galloway
08-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Regarding a hoist for the motor. The Ariel Association Manual has a very useful sketch of Gene Robert's application of the Garhauer Lifting Davit as engineered and installed on Gene's Ariel by Myron Spaulding.

I installed one of these in 2002 and have been using it since to raise and lower my motor, to suspend the motor while I am flushing it, and to get the motor off the boat onto a cart and back again. It's a snap to lower the motor into the well on a diagonal.

This devise uses a six part block, so with the Nissan 6hp motor that I am currently using, only ten pounds of pressure is required to lift the sixty pound motor. I's a one hand operation.

Please see my Ariel website, page: http://www.solopublications.com/sailarip.htm for photos of the Lifting Davit in use with a 7.5 Honda four stroke (the model with the smaller cavitation plates).

Don't forget to ask for Gene Robert's modification, which lengthens the support post, and if you don't already own one, buy a manual from the Association to tell you how to install your new davit in your Ariel. The manual explains in detail how to order and install this lifting davit. This is a real back saver and well worth the investment. I paid less than $300 for mine back in 2002 at a boat show.

Here is a photo to whet your appetite.