PDA

View Full Version : Crew wanted?

mbd
07-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Hey guys, any of you San Francisco area sailors need crew or willing to take on an extra hand tomorrow? I'm in San Francisco for a wedding and have some free time. Staying in Newark, wedding in Carmel... I can't think of a better way to see the city! :)

Ebb, how far away is your boat? I'd love to try and see her in person, too!

If anyone can or is willing, email me offline and I'll call you.

It'd be nice to put some faces to the names!

Best,
Mike

Bill
07-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Would be glad to have you aboard, but Maika'i is all tied up right now :(

Probably the best is Gene Robets at 415/731-5444. His boat is in the SF Marina, right on top of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Joe Antos is another last minute possibility. His boat is on the Estuary in Alameda. sailjoe1 AT comcast dot net

Ebb is in San Rafael. The marina housing his boat is nearly downtown! Weekends he is often at the boat. I'm sure he will respond to your post.

mbd
07-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks Bill, I'll try and get in touch.

Where do you keep your boat? It'd be nice to meet up with you somehow as well, if we could work it out.

Bill
07-22-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm also on the Estuary. Right now, the boat is at the Mariner Boat Yard having some buoy work done :mad: The yard is about 50 yards from Joe's slip.

ebb
07-24-2005, 12:11 AM
Mike, Dangh! How long you plan to be here?

Ran into a bit of a Problem on Friday...
M y ole iron schwin cruiser broke and dumped me on the rocks.
If I'd been designed like a snail, would have lost my left eye.
Only a bike accident but I feel like I was dumped out of an airplane.

Must of caught this running into immobile stuff from Bill...!

Bummer to have missed you,
If you had posted earlier I would have made other plans.

REALLY would enjoy meeting you! Ebb 707-938-2110

Mike Goodwin
07-24-2005, 05:14 AM
Did you spill your ale ?

frank durant
07-24-2005, 08:13 AM
Heh Ebb...what colour is your bike ??.....yellow ?? (sorry Bill)

ebb
07-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Nary a drop,
tho a drop er two when
raising a glass in better days
may be found on the chin.

We talk of expertise on our deconstructed or damaged vessels...

I mean the skill it must have taken the emergency room surgeon (six hours!) to stitch the face back together has to be truing amazing!

Was taken next day to another town to have a plastic surgeon look at Dr. Melton's work. Saturday. Parking all over the place. No emergencys here! Hallways grey and silent. Live human behind the correct door is young and astonishingly attractive. What eyes!!! She's dressed for a highend lunch, no white coats here!
She scrubbs the old man's face (rather vigourously, but it don't matter, I'm tuff, and already in love with this take charge babe) and says that Melton's stitches are perfect! Imagine that!

On Wednesday I get to go back to have the stitches pulled....a h h h, can't wait! How often does this kind of thing happen!

I think I have a new angle on what it takes to put things back together.

frank durant
07-24-2005, 12:40 PM
So Ebb....ya REALLY did give yourself a wallup !! Hope the 'mend' goes good and not painful. ps....sit on your hands next visit to get stitches out

Bill
07-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Spoke with Ebb last night and he really did take a nasty fall. Something like 50 stitches and a concussion :eek: Ebb says he's going to take some vacation time and work on 338 ;) I'll try to get some photos. . . :D

frank durant
07-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Hope all goes well with the recovery...feeling bad for 'teasing'...didn't know the fall was that bad !! 50 stitches ......WOW !!! Leave it to Ebb...if he does something ...he REALLY does it !!

ebb
07-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Head trauma like this might be comparable to getting whacked by the boom.
The worst for me is not remembering anything including the trip to the hospital - but gratified on hearing from others that I was telling anyone looking at me not to tie me down or give me drugs and pain killers. You can be gone from the control room but still telling people how you think it ought to be done!

Bet there's more than a few here agreeing with this accessment!

Shock response must be a dna program. We been doing battle with life and one another for 100,000s of years. There's another level of consciousness there... I was mobile right after, got up, and went back to the house (cave) for 'safety.' You read of singlehanders who in dire straits woke to find things in good order.

Meeting the world on yer own terms has a tinge of romance to it. How good would I be sewing my face back on? Dr Melton chose to stitch along the eyebrow and age lines in the face. Have to remember that! And include in the boat's first aid kit some fine nylon thread and small curved needles.

commanderpete
07-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Ouch. Those head and face cuts sure do bleed.

Pineapple is supposed to promote healing.

They gave me a CT scan of the brain once. Doctor said he didn't see anything. Not sure what he meant by that.

mbd
07-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Ebb, hope the stitch pulling came out well today, so sorry to hear of your accident! And Ebb, if you didn't want to get together, all you had to do was say so! :D

mbd
07-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone, for your responses to my thinly veiled plea for a quick sail on the West coast. It was tuly a last minute thing - I wasn't expecting to be set free from kid duties and wedding obligations and to have an afternoon to myself.

Bill and Ebb, sorry it didn't work out to get together. Scott, I'd have loved to taken you up on your offer to go out on Augustine and see all your single handed mods first hand.

In any event, it was our stallwort treasurer, Gene who graciously allowed me to tag along for a ride on his boat "Lady J" below...

mbd
07-27-2005, 05:28 PM
We had a nice little sail...

mbd
07-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks Gene! :D