PDA

View Full Version : FS:Commander in Ohio

commanderpete
06-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Asking $ 5900

http://www.boats.com/sites/harbornorth/boat?entityid=13070641&mid=2049&showDL=false&showMD=false&clk_srclnk_name

Boat Details

Beam 8 Max Draft 4

Hull Material Fiberglass Engine 1974 Universal

Fuel Gas/Petrol Horsepower (total) 30

Fuel Tank 10 Length at Waterline 18

Engine Hours 0

Description
ATTRACTIVE RED HULLED FULLED KEELED TILLER STEERED CLASSIC! With its large cockpit and cozy cabin this is the perfect Island Hopper.

Inventory
Dracon Main
Dacron Jib w/Roller Furling
Dracon #1,#2,#3, Genoa's
2 Nylon Spinnakers
Whisker Pole
Spinnaker Pole
5 Winches
VHF
Knotmeter
Depthsounder
Anchor w/100' Line
4 PFD's
Horseshoe Buoy
Fenders
Boat Hook
Throw Cushions
AM/FM Radio
Life Lines
Fire Extinguisher
Bow Pulpit

Contact Information

Listing ID 59089-1307064

Name Harbor North

Phone 800-451-7245

commanderpete
06-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Clever repair for a loose upper rudder shaft I think

commanderpete
06-21-2005, 11:06 AM
The coaming label

Tony G
06-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Who is that doll? She looks good in red. I may have to rethink topside colors. :cool:

Would I be a cad and a wanderer if I split my affection between two of these beauties???

Maybe it's this summer solstice making me feel all.........randy and such. :eek:

willie
06-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Hey, is that about where the one for the Ariel is supposed to go? Have one floating around the cabin, somewhere.

randy? is that in Websters? lol I think i'm feeling that way too, but want to be sure. :D

Anthony/Bina
06-23-2005, 10:01 AM
did all commanders have those logos on the coaming boards?

Mine are just plain wood?

Bill
06-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Logo plate thread would indicate that the plates went on all the boats.

commandertobe
03-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Had intended to be the rightful owner of #74 yesterday. Had a cashier's check in hand. I'm really disappointed. The survey was problematic to say the least, and what looked like a boat ready to hit the water was not so. At $5900, I expected better condition - or at least conditions commensurate with the posted photos. The pictures on Yachtworld are at least a year old, but based on the current condition, maybe more?? Structurally, the boat is in "remarkably good condition" (per the surveyor.) His assessment was that "someone put a good bit of time and money into this boat... about 10 years ago." Apparently, it has gone unkempt for some time "and it shows." The owner wasn't happy with the survey and tangled a bit with the surveyor, but... I will have more pictures soon, but going on what the surveyor said, the appearance of the boat was "poor." "It looks like the goop in your gutters when you haven't cleaned them for a while." "In and of itself, that isn't a huge issue, but this boat looks abandoned... and it makes you wonder." The electrical system is "a bird's nest" of wires. He put power to the system and it worked here and there only. There were concerns about the safety of the tubing for the fuel system (a trend in the survey that things were addressed, but not "to code" or professionally/capably done. Though the owner disagrees, the surveyor said he couldn't get the prop to turn with the boat in neutral. The surveyor (Greg Group of Great Lakes Marine who is an old Triton owner himself) said "I understand why you're attracted to this boat, but I would call it a 'project' and wouldn't suggest you give him anywhere near his asking price." I know I'm supposed to believe 1/2 of what the surveyor says and 1/2 of what the owner says, but the survey scared me off of this boat. If you look at the interior pictures on yachtworld, you have to wonder what the seller is thinking - I wouldn't sell my house in that degree of disarray, why would someone present that mess to the buying public? Puts a little doubt in my mind about what other things were left in disarray. It would cost me a couple grand to get the boat here and if it was in great condition, I would be (was) more inclined... Open to feedback if I am taking this survey too seriously.

If you knew there were electrical, fuel, and serious appearance conditions to be addressed, if the mast was buried in the marina's mast collection and unavailable at the time of survey, if the engine may or may not be frozen, and the owner is sticking to his guns at 5 grand, what would you do??

SO I'm looking at this Bristol 27 Weekender (Commander's kissin' cousin) Will post a question about its dryrot at the strongback/forward port chainplate. (clearly in the $5k range of old boat buying, nothing is perfect!)

Give me some guidance, eh?
Kyle

commanderpete
03-19-2007, 06:28 AM
Most people sell their boat long after they should have, and can't summon the energy to even clean her up.

On an inboard, the condition of the engine is a deciding factor.

You have to go with your gut. You put alot of work into any boat you buy, so it has to feel right.

commandertobe
03-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks,
That would explain its trashed appearance. Seems like a couple hundred bucks to a boat detailer would address the sale-appearance. I've been smitten with this boat for a good year and have been keeping an eye on it.

Can the engine be fired up out of the water? I know with an outboard, you can slap that earmuff-looking contraption on the intake and fire it up... Short of spalshing the boat, how do I assess the engine's status?
Kyle

bill@ariel231
03-19-2007, 08:49 AM
The engine can be test run out of the water. I've run my inboard with the raw water intake feeding from a bucket (filled as needed from a hose). If the boat is fitted with an inboard water strainer, you can fill that with the hose while the engine runs.... if it's an A4 don't forget to run the blower for 30 seconds (or so) before starting...

If the engine hasn't been run for a couple of years, just be happy if the engine spins when a fresh battery is hooked up. fresh fuel, oil, points, and a carb rebuild may be in order before it turns over under it's own power.

good luck!

mbd
03-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Kyle, good move hiring the surveyor. He's a "disinterested third party" and working for your interests. Take his findings to heart and really try and figure out if the boat and all its associated costs (especially TIME) are worth it to you. I was in the same boat (so to speak) as you are, but with one big difference the owner was reasonable and willing to negotiate his price based on my surveyor's findings.

As far as running the engine, you should be able to disconnect the water intake somewhere in the bilge, then put the hose in a bucket filled with water and a running hose to replenish it. To reiterate CPete's comment "On an inboard, the condition of the engine is a deciding factor." Make sure that baby runs - you'll have your hands full with all the other projects.

On the other hand, if you really love the boat and can't live without it - in the grand scheme of things, a few hundred (or thousand :) ) dollars doesn't amount to a whole lot - annual maintenance, dockage and projects add up fast.

Good luck and keep us posted with whatever happens! Be patient, there are plenty of boats out there. It's always a buyer's market, and the current owner is more anxious to sell their boat than you are to buy it - usually...

---------------------------------
I see Bill beat me to the post. Listen to him - he knows what he's doing...

joe
03-19-2007, 09:49 AM
That boat has been for sale for a LONG time. I would offer them 2500 and give 'em a week or two to think it over, you might just get her for that. I saw her on the internet last year. The only reason she was not a serious candidate was that I like more cabin and less cockpit, hence I now own an Ariel. If the hull is sound and the engine runs and the standing rigging and sails are in decent shape, she's worth every cent.

commandertobe
03-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for all of the input. Open to more...! Joe, I had considered a low offer like that. The Bristol 27 here locally is 4 grand and has several dry rot issues. This one being structurally sound is a bonus. Will talk with the owner about the engine test.

p.s. Actually has been for sale for the same price since 2 years ago this June... 2500 in hand beats 5900 in Delusional World :)

commandertobe
04-19-2007, 07:13 AM
I have about 250 pictures of this boat from the survey. Up her skirt and down her top so to speak - sorry, but I use the analogy because they are pretty graphic. Great bones, but as the surveyor said, "This is that woman who you can tell used to be beautiful, but has hung out at the bar smoking and drinking for too many years."
Let me know if you really want all of them and I will copy the CD of pix and mail it to you.
Kyle

joe
04-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Commadertobe

WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS !!!

commandertobe
04-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Sorting through 250 is the challenge. I will pull out some representative ones, but if anyone is a glutton for punishment, let me know and you can have the lot of them.
They may not be as bad as I present - I've seen far more challenging A/C rehab projects presented here. I simply don't have the time or expertise to bring her up to snuff - certainly not the inboard component. They may seem worse to me based on the dichotomy of the glowing review the owner presented and the actual condition.

Having purchased another, I feel a little sad for the girl... but happy to be a boat-ed rather than boatless lurker! (Dang, I liked that RED Commander though! All in due time...)

Kyle
Commander #65
"Lucky Dawg"

mbd
04-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Having purchased another, I feel a little sad for the girl... but happy to be a boat-ed rather than boatless lurker!
Kyle
Commander #65
"Lucky Dawg"
Did you post your purchase along with pics?? I missed it! Well, a belated congrats to ya! Just in time for Summer too!

commandertobe
04-19-2007, 07:22 PM
As soon as I get through the ol' moderators, I will post pix of #65 under my new screen name / her name, Lucky Dawg

Kyle

Lucky Dawg
04-24-2007, 11:29 AM
More pix of C-74 at (deleted that file - contact me back channel if you want the pictures) you'll need a Zip utility to open the file. Let me know back channel if you need any assistance.

commanderpete
04-27-2007, 04:34 AM
Lots of potential there.

Somebody needs to make that boat a lucky dawg too

ebb
04-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Photo #20,
Dang cruddy bottom!
but nice that those are paint tags NOT blisters!

C'pete, you done it again,
cutest pup photo ever taken!
What a relief.:D

Lucky Dawg
04-27-2007, 06:34 PM
OK, I see a number of you have looked at the collection of pictures. I'm not crazy, right? That ain't "ready to hit the water" condition. Quote from the present owner in describing her condition over the phone: "Well, she could use a change of curtains below, but beyond that, she is ready to roll."

Puh-leeeesssseee.

A little honesty would have saved me a $400 survey. Shame on me - for sure. Cripes. Caveat Emptor, my friends.
Potential - absolutely. But the girl needs a world o' help. Hope someone will give 'er the lovin' she deserves. She's dying under present circumstances...
I'm curious what your offer for her would be compared to her $5900 asking price...?
KW

p.s. she is no longer listed on yachtworld, but is still listed at her home marina http://www.harbornorth.com/property_details.aspx?p_id=41