PDA

View Full Version : Ariel #414

Pages : [1] 2

mbd
06-12-2005, 06:23 AM
:D

Bill, would you kindly change my forum status from "boatless lurker" to "Ariel Owner". Thank you!

mbd
06-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Here's A414 when we surveyed her... more pics soon!
- Mike

frank durant
06-12-2005, 06:46 AM
looks GREAT !!! Congrats

willie
06-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Wow, is that the last gal out of the mold? Sweeeeeeeeeet! :D

Bill
06-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Wow, is that the last gal out of the mold? No, #440 is the last boat. Highest boat number we have seen is #437, which appeared for sale on eBay in July of 2004.

mbd
06-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys! I can't tell you how thrilled I am!

I will be heading up to Belfast, Maine sometime at the end of the month to sail the boat down to Portland with the current owner. He is a very nice fellow who has owned the boat himself for only three years - before that, he and his wife were full-time cruisers in the Caribbean. You can bet I'll be picking his brain all the way down the coast! But, he has obviously taken good care of the boat. Sadly, however, the survey came back with deck problems, so I'm afraid there is a recore job in my near future. :eek:

Now for some more pictures...

mbd
06-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Bow shot as I saw her last Fall. The unsuspecting little guy under the boat doesn't realize he's about to be shanghaied and swabbing decks before he knows what happened!

mbd
06-12-2005, 10:39 AM
The hatches have veneer tops...

mbd
06-12-2005, 10:42 AM
The interior is nice and clean! The wood is in great shape with some nice modifications by PO's, like the companionway steps here...

mbd
06-12-2005, 10:44 AM
...and the v-berth.

mbd
06-12-2005, 10:45 AM
...with a nifty chain locker.

mbd
06-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Another nice touch - these are built inside each of the cockpit lockers to separate the locker contents and the engine compartment.

mbd
06-12-2005, 11:07 AM
OH! And check this out! A414 has been repowered with a diesel - a good while ago, but the engine looks to be in good shape and the owner certainly knows his way around diesels. Awfully tight quarters for maintenance work though, and boy, do I have A LOT to learn. Ulp!

frank durant
06-12-2005, 08:21 PM
The boat looks great and obviously has been loved by PO's.The little Yanmar will surprise you if all is well to start with.Diesels are pretty simple really....keep the oil,air and fuel clean and they have a way of going an going an going!! AND on very little fuel!! Don't forget to check the zincs too. A fine start to Ariel land.Keep the pics coming.

commanderpete
06-13-2005, 06:03 AM
Now that is a Honey

She was worth waiting for.

Tony G
06-13-2005, 06:55 AM
Ooo! Drool, drool, slobber,slobber.

She does look very nice. Being #414, she's probably still 'warm out of the oven'. Danged near brand new! The modifications look really good too. Very fitting, not out of place. The boom craddle looks like it was conceived by someone with some miles under their keel. It would be fun to take an inagural sail with some Caribbean cruisers. Brain pickin'? You bet!

Gawd, I'd be nervous cutting into such nice looking decks. Is she in well enough shape that you could sail her for the season and decide if there are any other changes you'd like to make so you could do them all at one time?

Maybe you just wanna give her to me... :D

mbd
06-13-2005, 08:47 AM
- CP, she was absolutely worth the wait! BTW, have you got pictures of that newly painted mast yet? Or have you been too busy with your new gal?

- "Tony G", that was my reaction when I first saw her too!

- And "thanks" for posting the Uncle Heny's ad David S.!

Now, just to get the boat...

epiphany
06-16-2005, 04:53 AM
Wow, Mike - She's a beaut! And only 8 hulls later, Katie Marie was born. :D

Good things do come to those who wait!!!

Love those companionway steps, the anchor locker, and the slat-separated cockpit lockers - all things I'll be doing before long.

Also, I see you have the same teak countertop galley organizer Katie had. Yes, "had" - I took it out a little while ago, and am loving the space it freed up. Until I saw your pics, I figured it was an aftermarket thing, but I guess it is an OEM Pearson Ariel piece o' stuff. (Anyone need one?)

Again, Congrats! You'll have a blast sailing her down. :D

mbd
06-16-2005, 06:11 AM
Thanks Kurt!

Hey, does Katie Marie have cast aluminum deck hardware instead of the chromed bronze too? If so, I wonder when Pearson decided to cut costs that way. :mad:

mbd
07-03-2005, 06:18 PM
After waiting a day because of this, then finally leaving Belfast, Maine in this on Friday we set out. (GPS is a wondrous thing!)

Bill
07-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks Kurt!

Hey, does Katie Marie have cast aluminum deck hardware instead of the chromed bronze too? If so, I wonder when Pearson decided to cut costs that way. :mad:

When they began building their yachts . . .

mbd
07-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Steaming for twelve hours with prevailing winds on the nose and seeing stuff like this...

mbd
07-03-2005, 06:24 PM
..and this.

mbd
07-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Then another 8 hours, sailing the last three... A-414 has arrived at her new home in South Portland for the season! Woo hoo!!! :D

frank durant
07-04-2005, 05:28 AM
Congrats on making it 'home'.....looks GREAT @ the dock !!

epiphany
07-07-2005, 11:04 AM
WOW! Way to go, Mike! Congrats!!!

I know how you feel - I pat Katie's hull every night as I go to sleep, and dream good seafaring dreams. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

PS - We, too, are members of the cast aluminum deck hardware crowd. Whatever works! :D

mbd
07-16-2005, 07:17 PM
The need for better access to the leaking stern tube hurried this project along. As I've never cut a hole in a cockpit before, and because he is such a nice guy, I was able to secure the services of the master himself, Mr. Tim Lackey to install the access hatch.

I bought a Bomar L-Profile Slam Hatch, 16x20 (I think - the picture and dimensions online don't seem to match the hatch), part number Bom-17621-w for $61.99 from Hamilton Marine. It seemed like a good fit for the area and felt and looked as though it had plenty of support.

mbd
07-16-2005, 07:18 PM
The cockpit BEFORE...

mbd
07-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Tim drilling...

mbd
07-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Tim sawing...

mbd
07-16-2005, 07:24 PM
And Tim looking rather pleased to be holding a big chunk of my floor in his hands...

For what it's worth, the cockpit floor was solid as a rock and seemed very well put together and supported.

mbd
07-16-2005, 07:28 PM
He had a handy little drill bit to center a pilot hole for the pilot hole - if that makes sense. It made for very quick and accurate work of the screw holes. I must get one.

You can see how much easier it will be to get into the bowels of the boat now...

mbd
07-16-2005, 07:34 PM
The cockpit AFTER the hatch is installed (with LOTS of butyl sealant)...

mbd
07-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Some more pictures of the installed hatch...

Thanks Tim! :D

frank durant
07-17-2005, 05:29 AM
great access !! Fits in there real nice..looks good.

ebb
07-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Great to meet Tim. We are so chary of portraits on this board, it's great to see the man.

But also, this series of photos you have here is just the kind of sharing that is so useful for others to have. It's a perfect addition to an inaccessable part of the boat that others should seriously consider! Let's hope it don't leak.* Too much.

Thanks, guys!

*talking bomar not yer expertise!

c_amos
07-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Looks like a first rate fit!

If I had an inboard, (especially the diesel you have that I would dearly love) I think I should look for this same modification.

Tim Lackey certainly has MUCH more experience then I, but there are two issues I did not see addressed in the install that you might want to think about.

The cockpit is a very wet area, it does not just take water with large breaking waves, but every rain that falls. I did not see (maybe you just left it out) any caulking used to seal the hatch to the deck. Water intrusion past the flange will cause you much heartache down the road.

The other issue was the bare core exposed by the sawing. Should moisture find it's way to this, it could soften the entire cockpit floor in short order. A good example of how to deal with this potential problem can be seen in Kurt's installation of a Hawsepipe aboard #422 (http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/showpost.php?p=9907&postcount=23)

Again, Tim Lackey (and others on this board like Mike and... ok most of this board) have more experience then I so they may have other suggestions. I think the project is a great addition to the already great boat you have got a hold of.

mbd
07-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Craig, good points!

Jeeze, I'm wondering now if I should have asked Tim's permission to post this in case someone comes away from it thinking he's not as thorough and meticulous as he is!

My bad. Yes, I did leave some pictures out. I stupidly was trying to "abbreviate" the process.

We used butyl sealant - LOTS of it! He also counter sunk (?) the screw holes in the fiberglass to allow the sealant to ooze into those recesses and also left it over the screw heads when all was said and done.

As for the exposed core, our main concern of the morning was to get the hatch in so I could get at the stern tube to try and apply a temporary patch. He commented on me "properly" sealing the exposed core in the off-season and in the mean time completely slathered the the core areas with yet more butyl sealant. He used an entire tube.

Here he is with a zealous blob around the lip and slathering the exposed core...

frank durant
07-17-2005, 07:45 PM
from the pic , I would say your sealant was 'liberally' applied !! Let us know how it all fairs out after some sun,rain and waves.Looks good

Bill
07-29-2005, 10:34 PM
A-414 threads merged: Ariel #414 and 414 hatch.

mbd
09-16-2005, 07:30 AM
With stern tube, cutlass bearing and propeller shaft repairs behind and hopefully soon forgotten, it's time to get on to more important things!

mbd
09-16-2005, 07:42 AM
The cockpit hatch was a timely and vastly worthwhile improvement! I cannot imagine trying to work on the innards below the cockpit without it. If you're thinking about installing one and wondering if it'll be worth it - JUST DO IT!

I can't speak for the water tightness yet, since I have improperly non-bedded hardware all over the deck and coach roof which is undoubtedly the primary source of my water intrusion...

Bill
09-16-2005, 09:22 AM
I can't speak for the water tightness yet, since I have improperly non-bedded hardware all over the deck and coach roof which is undoubtedly the primary source of my water intrusion...

Don't forget the hull to deck joint :D That one can be a major source -- if you get your top rail down.

mbd
09-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Ah, yes. Well, after the leak below the waterline was fixed I figured I'd start from the top down. I'll get to the rub rail eventually. :)

Speaking of rub rails, there was a nice rub rail on a beautifully restored Triton going around the Triton list last week - Jim Bissonnette's Triton 557. Never seen this done before, but I like it!

Let's see if I can find it. Yes, here it is...

Tony G
09-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Mike, thanks for posting some sailing pictures. Its nice to see these boats in the water. She looks great!

Hey! Jim added more pictures to the Triton MIR site too. We've been studying his head/shower, trying to glean information from the pictures. But I didn't find the picture you posted above. What list is that from?

mbd
09-17-2005, 07:32 AM
Thanks Tony! They are some nice little boats.

The Yahoo Triton list. He emailed me some offline - beautiful! I can send 'em along off-line if you like...

mbd
12-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Winter is here.

epiphany
12-13-2005, 07:16 AM
"Oh the weather outside is frightful,
but those lines... are so delightful..."

:D :D :D

mbd
01-07-2006, 11:15 AM
"E" -- they're much more delightful in the water!

Here's a shamelss plug for the association paraphernalia... Start 'em young and they'll learn to like varnish, sanding and bottom paint. :D

We'll see if it works...

epiphany
01-10-2006, 06:05 PM
"'Brainwashing children'? Well, no, we prefer to think of it as "pre-adult nautical career guidance"..." :rolleyes: :D

mbd
01-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Heeeey, I like the sound of that! :D

mbd
05-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Well, we got off easy this Winter and the Spring started off promising. But Mother Nature has a way of evening things out. As a result of the recent monsoons, progress on the recore has been frustratingly slow.

I've been looking at this view of the boat in the side yard waaaaay too much this last month!

mbd
05-22-2006, 06:24 PM
The deck hardware is off with just a handful of siezed/broken screws/bolts. I still need to remove the coamings and chain plates - the windows are staying for another project down the road.

mbd
05-22-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm still debating on removing the companionway hatch and trim. It'll make painting a lot easier if I do.

The supplies are bought and I'm watching far too many other boats going into the water to wait much longer. In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to take some time off work and go at it with a vengence during the days - the season is just too short.

tha3rdman
05-23-2006, 05:25 AM
I'm just a little ahead of you, I have pictures just haven't posted yet (keep forgeting to bring the camera home) I decided to postpone the recore till winter, and just rebed all the deck hardware in the meantime (bedding - drilling a 5/8 hole in the top skin digging out as far back as i can and filling with thickened epoxy, after that I had planned for "Lifecaulk" for a sealant . . . but the river ate 7/8 of my tube.

mbd
05-29-2006, 10:30 AM
I was actually able to leave the boat uncovered over night. I must say, the coamings add a LOT to these boats.

mbd
05-29-2006, 10:34 AM
I split one of the *&$@# coamings because I pulled at it before I had really broken the butyl's hold. A PO used lots of butyl when reattaching the combings.

Now I need to build shelves in the garage so I can use the workbench...

mbd
05-30-2006, 07:11 AM
A less than pristine cockpit and the tools used for removing the coamings...

I'm thinking I'll save the companionway hatch and windows for another season and just paint around the edges the best I can.

mbd
07-01-2006, 05:30 PM
I opted to go for a "small" area and just tackle on side deck. Using a circular saw I cut a line up the starboad side deck along the toe rail, then back down along the cabin. Then I divided it into 4 good sized sections by cutting across the other way. I finished the cuts off with a dremel with a metal cutting bit which worked very nicely.

I went after the section I thought had the most problems. Not much delamination here, and it was a real pain to peel off and clean out. I spent the better part of the afternoon chiseling and hacking the not-so-bad core out of the area...

mbd
07-01-2006, 05:46 PM
After clearing everything off the decks because of an afternoon thunderstorm, I thought perhaps I should try and hone in on the known bad spots. So, just forward of the section I just did, I made another cut lengthwise to try and just get the area around the chainplates.

Bingo. It was nice to see some bad core. (Did I just say that?) In any event, it was way easier to remove the material for these "sub" sections.

I'm already planning on replacing my chain plates, and looking at these soggy gaping holes in the side deck has me thinking about external chain plates again. Besides three less holes in each side deck, I think they look pretty shippy too. I'll have to hit the "search" button. :D

Bill
07-01-2006, 10:49 PM
.... I'll have to hit the "search" button. :D

Take a look at post #60 at: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=325&page=4&pp=15

bill@ariel231
07-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Mike

it's a trade-off what holes to spend time and effort sealing up... three holes on each of the side decks or... 9 holes on each side of the hull....

I need to make the same choice next year.

bill

mbd
08-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Bill, as posted in another thread, looks like I'm going with the 'stock' setup (though a bit beefier) for the chainplates - though I do really like the idea of the externals, the path of least resistance wins out. Guess I'll just have to wait for you, Ebb, TonyG to do it to see another installation besides Geoff's.

http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/showpost.php?p=13379&postcount=57

http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/showpost.php?p=13378&postcount=35

mbd
08-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Progress is slow on the recore job, but things are getting done. In the meantime, here's the old chainplate (it was flattened out to make the new one), and the new - one after I made the opening on the taff rail larger...

mbd
08-09-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm very pleased with the CoreCell. I got the 9mm thick stuff. It's easy to work with and just the right thickness. Here it is dry fit on the starboard side deck.

mbd
08-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Here's the ground out deck, including the hole through the lower skin.

mbd
08-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Here is the deck with thickened epoxy spread over the hole and stuffed all around the edges where I dug out the balsa core.

mbd
08-09-2006, 10:36 AM
And finally, the new core in place and weighted down. First, I wet out the lower skin and applied three fiberglass cloth patches to holes and thin spots, then spread thickened epoxy all over the bottom of the corecell pieces, mashed 'em down, wet out the undersides of the cut out deck pieces, spread thickened epoxy over the tops of the corecell pieces, then pressed everything in place, wiped off the squeezed out epoxy, laid down wax paper and put on the weights.

Next will be more grinding and scarf joints. Maybe 1/3 done. Then I'll have to make everything pretty again - grinding, fairing, grinding, painting... :eek:

tha3rdman
08-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Why does no one vacuum bag? You could put around 12 Psi or 1700 Pounds per square foot or al most 7000 lbs of pressure on that little patch you had there. Just need some bag, mastic, breather, & pref, coupled to a vacuum pump of a venturi deal, or in a pinch an onld refer compressor, or any compressor.

Sure think it beats bricks, and jugs.

ebb
08-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Mike,
You sure do make your recore project look and sound easy! And neat. You do good work!

I hope you will take time to write a recap to help first timers feel empowered to do it also. Talking about power, it's a fantastic thing to do for the ole gal. Adding years, decades to the life of our fine little boats.

Hints, that first cut, tools you used, materials, and amounts of materials if you kept a record. Any problems, tips, what would you do different next time. :rolleyes:

You know, because somebody right now is going to be inspired by what you've accomplished. :cool:

mbd
08-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Why does no one vacuum bag? ... Just need some bag, mastic, breather, & pref, coupled to a vacuum pump of a venturi deal, or in a pinch an onld refer compressor, or any compressor.Let's do a little "got it" test:

some bag - got it? no.
mastic - got it? no.
breather - got it? no.
& pref - got it? no.
a vacuum pump of a venturi deal - got it? no.
an onld refer compressor - got it? no.
or any compressor - got it? no.
bricks - got it? yes.
milk jugs - got it? yes.

Sure think it beats bricks, and jugs.Perhaps, but my bricks and jugs are paid for and they work. :D

mbd
08-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks Ebb! What is truly empowering is the encouragement and knowledge from the good folks on the forum here and other ether places. This is truly an "if I can do it, anyone can" sort of job. Not fun, but not too terribly difficult either. But, I'm still far from done - and still recovering from that "first cut"... :o

tha3rdman
08-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Got it! :D or I get it rather.

BTW: how much does the corecell run a sheet?

You know, because somebody right now is going to be inspired by what you've accomplished. :cool:

Or dreading this winter when they cut into their own . . .

mbd
08-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Oh 3rdman... Will I post this before our omnipresent moderator Bill does?

"If you use the 'search' button at the top of the page"...

I got it from Noah's Marine (http://www.noahsmarine.com/United_States/Core_Materials-US/ATC_Chemicals-US/atc_chemicals-us.html). Here's the link from the Deck Delamination / Core Problems (http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showpost.php?p=11157&postcount=156) thread.

PS. At the rate I'm going, you'll finish before I do. :rolleyes:

mbd
08-09-2006, 04:27 PM
I just took this after removing the weights and right before spilling my beer. I hate this tarp. :eek:

I do wish more expoxy had oozed out of the seams though. Oh well, I'll have some more chances with the port and fore decks...

Bill
08-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Oh 3rdman... Will I post this before our omnipresent moderator Bill does? "If you use the 'search' button at the top of the page"...

Thanks! ;)

mbd
08-15-2006, 08:09 PM
A busy weekend - grinding. Lots of it.

BTW, when I cut along the coach roof and toe rail, I cut as close to the edges as my circular saw guard would allow. Don't do that. Add maybe a half or an inch or so to that. The thin strip along the edges is difficult to get at with a sander, and impossible to grind at the right angle for a scarf joint. You can still dig the material underneath the edges out and stuff thickened epoxy into the crevices...

mbd
08-15-2006, 08:37 PM
And my first ever fiberglass job - phase one.

First, I slathered as much unthickened epoxy into the cracks as I could and wetted out the bare glass. Then I thickened what was left to fill the big gaps. Next I cut some of my 8.7 oz 4" fiberglass tape into 2" strips which I laid on the seams then wet out with unthickened epoxy.

I tried to roll out bubbles and squeegy off the excess before the epoxy gelled and became unworkable - with mediocre results. I got a can of slow hardener last weekend after I almost detonated my first big batch of epoxy, which gave me more time to work, but still, I attempted to do too big of an area at one time...

I would have liked to finish off with 4" strips and cloth to complete the scarf joints, but I ran out of daylight and weekend. Too bad, because the whole chemical vs. mechanical bond deal, but what can you do? Plan better, I guess.

I sure wish I had one of the experts looking over my shoulder! The job leaves much to be desired I'm sure, but at least the deck is getting put together instead of taken apart for a change. Besides, I can always grind it back down and try again, right? :o

epiphany
08-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Mike -

I've been meaning to post that it sure looks like any 'expert looking' was done from *between* your shoulders, not over them. :) Nice work, she's looking good!!!

mbd
08-30-2006, 05:35 AM
Thanks Kurt - I'm currently waiting for the deckwork from last weekend to cure. Almost 4 days and the whole side deck is still tacky! :eek:

I had switched to the slow hardener (West System 206) to give myself more time to work with the epoxy, but the high temps in Maine since Saturday have been barely above 60 and drizzly. I've got four pots that I used for mixing various batches, and none have hardened - and I don't think even I could screw up mixing four different batches! I'm really hoping a nice sunny warm day will harden it up. :o

mbd
08-31-2006, 07:58 PM
I've got four pots that I used for mixing various batches, and none have hardened - and I don't think even I could screw up mixing four different batches!Ummmm... I've been wrong before, too. :o

So, I'm using West System epoxy (availability, reputation, documentation, marketing :) , etc.) They have this handy "pump system" where the 5:1 ratio of resin and hardener is measured for you - all you have to do is count the number of pumps of resin and hardener. Not so bad. Worked great the first time I tried it. About as idiot-proof as they could make it really.

Well, after finding the epoxy still tacky last night, four days after finishing the job, I began combing through old emails and rereading the West System User guide, trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Then it hit me. 5:1 ratio. 5:1 ratio. Wait a minute! The pumps... The @#!$# pumps! I had actually done it. I had outsmarted the idiot-proof "pump system".

I don't know, I guess I was really preoccupied with other things, like: Am I doing the scarf joints properly? Should I be using the 17oz biax, or the 8 oz cloth now? Have I washed and ground down the previous layer enough? Can I get this done before dark?

And I kept thinking 5:1 ratio, 5:1 ratio. Don't screw it up. So that's what I did: 5 pumps of resin, 1 pump of hardener. Over and over and over again. I did indeed mismeasure every single batch of epoxy I mixed last weekend. ALL of them. The entire day's worth of epoxy and glass and filler on the starboard side deck. What I did in reality, was mix a whole bunch of 25:1 resin goo. :eek:

Needless to say, I'll be learning how to remove and clean up uncured epoxy this weekend...

tha3rdman
08-31-2006, 08:22 PM
geesh, Before you go stripping off all that mess, I'd call West Sys, and see if theres and easier way even baking it would be easier then scraping all that crud. I wonder if some time at 140 deg, or so, would cure it.

ebb
08-31-2006, 10:23 PM
yea, I'd call them too!

It is not unlikely that misbatched epoxy will go off eventually, just a matter of time. Don't do anything radical yet! Might depend on how far off your part A to your part B was.... Call the product tech! Maybe the set can be speeded up with a heat gun.

Project looks first class!

Instead of the pumps you might try the graduated translucent plastic quart containers that most alternative suppliers have. I get mine from TAP. Ounces and milleliters printed on the straight sided container makes it simple to get the proportions visually.

You go for the amount of epoxy you think you need (in your case) marking off with a sharpie 5 measures plus one measure - whether they're 2 oz each, 1 oz each, 1/2 oz or milliliter multiples. It's no brainer, I make myself mark off the proportions every time I mix a batch: 5 equal spaces to one equal space, whatever the quantity.

(I'm a two to one fan, but the point is you look at, actually thru, the container as you pour Part A up to the 5 part mark -where I've made a longer line with the marker - and then top off with the hardner. This would work especially well if you are using epopxies with differing proportions.

The marker lines wipe off with denatured alcohol, my cleanup solvent of choice. I'll often clean out the container with paper towel/rags and use it again. Depends on the timing. I keep similar 1/2 gal buckets to mix powders into a batch: silica, fairing compound.

I have trouble trusting the pumps. If you keep them in the cans over a period of time, Part A will gum up and the squirts will not be true measure. Also if you have the cans around for awhile you want to screw the cap on. What do you do with the pumps? Toss em? Unless you want to go thru the mess of cleaning them and wasting solvent.)

mbd
09-01-2006, 06:47 AM
I tried the heat gun earlier in the week. It thins the mixture when there's not enough hardener to "kick" - which incidentally is the way West suggests removing it. I also tried the heat gun on one of my used mixing pots to see what would happen. It just made it runny.

Ebb, I've got lots of the clear buckets with marked measurements. That's how I started out, but pouring the resin and hardener from the jug and cans was a messy and wasteful affair, and I invested in the pumps.

I also called West with a "hail mary" and took little comfort when he said, "You're not the first to do it." In light of the fact that I used the slow hardener, the temps are hovering around 60 and it hasn't started to cure yet, he said I'd be better off removing the questionable stuff, which I'm inclined to do anyway because we're talking about the structural integrity of my deck.

Ironic. In the software biz, I strive to write "idiot-proof" code 40 hours a week and I've concluded many times over - you just can't save some people from themselves... :o

ebb
09-01-2006, 07:48 AM
Hey Mike, Guess you have to make up a proportion code sheet.
Like 72 squirts part A / 14.4 squirts part B = 8 oz
100 squirts pt A / 20 squirts pt B = 12 oz
ETC

Had to find a supplier for empty F-style gallon cans to screw in the pumps. Befor I nixed the pumps. But I got to like the wider mouth cans - you can look down the hole to see what's doin in there.
I buy Part A in 5 gal bombs weighing 600#, it seems -so I have to decant with a funnel into smaller containers. No fun when the big one is full. I got a big mit and find it pretty easy to pick up a rectangular can by its side and tip it into the quart container - laboratory style at eye level one in each hand. Not you? You only need to have it half full, weight wise. Anyway you probably aren't set up for continuous use like 338 is.

Spent an inordinate amount of time last few years with a gallon can in one hand and a quart container in the other. The wider mouth means that the syrupy epoxy pours out rather than BLOB - which indeed can get messy.

Earlier threads point out that 2 to 1 and 1 to 1 epoxies are better to use. And easier to measure. One reason is that they are more tolerant of mistakes because they are essentially the same stuff in each container but one has the hardner. Been said these epoxies are in a premix state already on their way to set. Sometimes indicated by zero induction time. This might have been true yesterday, but today there are 100s of new epoxies!

You're absolutely correct. Personally haven't been saved at least a thousand times! :eek:

mbd
09-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Earlier threads point out that 2 to 1 and 1 to 1 epoxies are better to use.I was real close to going with Mike G's FGCI epoxy, got a catalogue and even called and talked to them. But in the end, the ready availability of West won out.

In retrospect, I suppose I'd rather my recore were delayed because I was waiting for a delivery of epoxy... :o

mbd
09-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Not so bad really. The 25:1 ratio goo was basically resin and was nowhere close to hardening. I was able to just peel of the fiberglass cloth and biax strips I had laid down, scraped off what I could, then wiped it all down with acetone. I could have been a lot worse...

Lesson learned.

ebb
09-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Can get seduced by the local marine convenience store (WM.) Aside from ranting West Systems (Gougeon Bros) for foisting blush epoxies on the inexperienced, they do have packaging down pat. And they're the only act on the shelf. It is also true we are paying for the convenience of having the store down the street: taxes, morgages, salaries, utilities - that game forces the prices of everything up. (WM is a publically owned company and is probably worth more in real estate than inventory. Who knows what they're into. Who owns West Systems, for example? The CEO of WM makes a paltry million and a half a year. Good ole Empire building goin on heare!)

For that little bit of wait you mention, online suppliers offer greater selection and better epoxies at half the price. The site I use sells 'marine' epoxies without the added surcharge. They are often what industry and the military use. The only problem I've found is eclectic containers. And maybe too large quantity. My white tank coating, for instance, requires a gorilla to open the plastic pail part A comes in. Decanting the thick creme into small batches takes invention and patience. What the hell...

At least I'm not married to WM's consumeroid choice. Happy pumping! :D

mbd
09-03-2006, 06:23 PM
For that little bit of wait you mention, online suppliers offer greater selection and better epoxies at half the price. The site I use sells 'marine' epoxies without the added surcharge.I know it's on this forum somewhere, but is this your internet site of choice Ebb? (http://www.epoxyproducts.com/)

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say your well considered and thought out opinions weigh heavily when it comes to boat related decisions. You should work out deals with the companies you buy from and get royalties when a new customer says "Ebb sent me."... :D

As for the re-recore progress: Saturday AM I rewiped the deck, then did some self appointed penance and reground the whole side deck to make sure no trace of my stupidity remained.

Here's the latest picture. (Remarkably similar to a previous one I know - at least it's from a different perspective. :o ) But, I did manage a little happy pumping (and all of the batches hardened nicely) when I filled the forward stanchion holes with soaked biax and plenty of properly mixed and thickened epoxy, before Earnest made me relplace the tarp...

ebb
09-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Absolutely Gorgeous.
It's definitely art.
Those mysterious symbols....
Interesting you've kept your core material
a complete secret.

mbd
09-04-2006, 08:09 PM
The recored, re-glassed starboard side deck.

More details and pictures ad nauseam on "the blog (http://ariel414.blogspot.com/)"...

PS. Ebb, I'm using Corecell for the core material - shown earlier in this thread (#66).

bill@ariel231
09-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Mike

looks good, glad it set up for you on the second try. while I haven't had to start over with a mix problem, I have hit both extremes of tempurature problems (too thick a layup schedule = a small fire) and ('glassing in the snow without a heat gun = a big mess).

hope you don't encounter these two event first hand ...

cheers,
bill
;)

mbd
09-13-2006, 07:22 PM
This time, instead of sawing up the whole side deck, I'm going to try and minimize the sawing (and thus the grinding!) this time around...

mbd
09-13-2006, 07:31 PM
This arrived Monday and has been sitting in my office. I finally brought it home last night. After work today, I just had to see how it would look - plus, I wanted to make sure the measurements weren't off.

bill@ariel231
09-14-2006, 05:20 AM
Mike

that's a nice looking stern rail. who was your vendor?

Bill

mbd
09-15-2006, 06:08 AM
After doing some checking around, I finally decided on Tops in Quality. Nobody could match or come close to their price, and a number of others have recommended them as well. (I'll be happy to fill in the gory details if anyone wants them.)

I had them add an arch, which they did for an additional $25. Here's a snippet of an email to them:

Additional considerations:
1. Please make it look as much like the attached picture of Sirocco as possible (i.e. slight arch/bend going up to AND over taff rail - following the lines of the transom)
I don't know that they actually read the emails, but when all was said and done, I'm pretty pleased. :D

ebb
09-15-2006, 07:19 AM
How to say? An attention to detail that turns a plain guard rail into elegant, eye-pleasing sensation! :D

joe
09-15-2006, 11:02 AM
I see from your post that you wanted the rail to look like Sirocco's. I am now the very, very proud owner of Sirocco. Too bad neither one of my modeling ex-wives never looked as good as her LOL :D :eek:

mbd
09-18-2006, 09:21 AM
I see from your post that you wanted the rail to look like Sirocco's. Yes indeed, imitation is the highest form of flattery. :)

Congrats again on your new boat!

mbd
09-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Got the port side deck gutted and recored. Same process as before, yadda yadda yadda...

You can see where an expoxy plug was done under one of the stanchion bases. I didn't even take pictures post grinding, etc. I'm just ready to be done.

mbd
10-05-2006, 08:02 PM
The port side deck is recored and glassed just in time for the cold weather. Here's a picture of it glued and ground. It was too dark for pictures last night when we finished glassing, but I'll post one at some point.

I'm done opening up the decks until next year. In the meantime, I have plenty of other projects to do if any more nice days happen to fall on weekends when I don't have family obligations or leaves to rake.

ebb
10-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Great Befor and Afters!
You can really see from the darker areas how they relate to the stanchion bases. The darker areas must be the oldest rot radiating out from the fastenings in the bases from fresh water invasion. Good forensics. Good job! You make it look like a piece of cake.

mbd
10-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Doesn't look like much to show for an entire season out of the water...

Tony G
10-07-2006, 02:54 PM
I feel your pain, brother.

There is alot more to it than meets the eye. Anyone that has done it knows for certain. I guess you just try not to let it go on for too many seasons.

Sometimes it's hard to discern if it's a blessing or a curse to have your boat at home where you can take your time...and one project runs into another. The rent is just so darn reasonable!

She'll be better than ever when you're done so keep that thought in mind when you get to beat'n yourself up.

I keep thinking of stuff like this....(thanks Nathan)

mbd
10-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks, Tony. That is one great picture from Dasein and crew. A little bittersweet though - he's dippin' his rails in the same bay I was/would/will be... :o

Ps. BTW, how's 113 coming along and where are your latest photos, Mister?

mbd
03-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Well, Spring is here - believe it or not. The state of things with A414: I've mulled it over all winter long, and this was the question that really sealed the deal. How would I like to spend my time this Summer - doing this (http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=3656&stc=1&d=1158625280) or doing this (http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=3671&stc=1&d=1160258080)?

One summer languishing in the side yard is enough. In short, I've contracted Tim Lackey to finish up the recore. In one month's time, the boat will be headed up to his shop and his capable hands. Approximately a month after that, Ariel 414 will hit the water again with new decks and a new name. I psyched.

Simply put, I'm too slow and life is too short. :)

PS. Incidentally, the decks seen on that boat sailing in the picture above are also a beneficiary of Mr. Lackey's expertise, as well as some long hours put in by the owner, Nathan Sanborn.

bill@ariel231
03-25-2007, 03:08 PM
hope the snow melts soon up there. with a short trip to Mr. Tim's, you'll probably still beat Periwinkle to the water. there are lot of boats between her and the travel-lift...

commanderpete
03-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Good move Mike.

Get 'er done

Is he going to spray the deck too? Zip, zip

mbd
03-26-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm afraid we'll have to see how smoothly the recore goes first... :o

mbd
04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Why people move South...

frank durant
04-05-2007, 11:23 AM
ahhhh.....but you wouldn't fully appreciate nice days as much ;-)

mbd
04-05-2007, 11:26 AM
True, true. I guess the REALLY smart ones just cruise down South during the Winter months. :cool:

ebb
04-05-2007, 01:49 PM
South? s o u t h ? ....'go west young man'
where your picture (now on my corkboard in the kitchen!)

- instead of whatever that white substance is you have there -
in sunny California right now
could be apple, pear, and wisteria petals wafting down in perfumed zephyrs and balmy billows.:rolleyes:

mbd
04-14-2007, 10:27 AM
It wouldn't take much convincing these days! Another storm due on Sunday. However, there's still some hope...

mbd
04-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Getting her prepped for the trip to Tim L's later this week...

bill@ariel231
04-23-2007, 05:18 AM
Mike

glad to see the snow is gone. you've been busy. it looks like you've removed to ports and hardware from the cabintop.

cheers,
bill

mbd
04-23-2007, 11:47 AM
I've removed just about everything that can be removed except the companionway, cockpit hatch, and all the silicone that was used to bed the deadlights and rub rail. :eek:

The progress of the project can be followed on Tim's website: Sea Glass Project (http://lackeysailing.com/seaglass/seaglass.htm)

Bill
04-23-2007, 01:16 PM
The progress of the project can be followed on Tim's website: Sea Glass Project (http://lackeysailing.com/seaglass/seaglass.htm)

Looks a bit like false advertising :D Nothing is happening on that site . . :confused:

mbd
04-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Oh, that's only because it's nowhere near him! Give it a couple of days. :p

He's working on his own boat while he's waiting for mine to arrive. I don't think the guy sits still for very long...

Here's his "current" projects: Current Projects (http://www.northernyacht.com/current.htm)

bill@ariel231
04-25-2007, 06:17 AM
Mike

is today "moving day" for Sea Glass (aka. the "flying squirrel")?

good luck, hope the move is uneventful.

Bill

mbd
04-25-2007, 06:21 AM
..."moving day" for Sea Glass (aka. the "flying squirrel")?Heh! I like the sound of that!

Yes, today is moving day. I just got a call from the hauler and he'll be here in a bit. Bonzai!

epiphany
04-25-2007, 08:57 AM
:) :) :) I t'ink Mike be Happy wit dis, mon.... :) :) :)

mbd
04-25-2007, 08:16 PM
To say the least, Kurt!

Here she is this morning, on her way to Tim's for the makeover. She arrived safely this afternoon, and work begins tomorrow...

mbd
05-09-2007, 06:42 AM
In only 9 days, Tim L. has the decks done and ready for primer...

bill@ariel231
05-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Mike

I've been following Tim's progress, the decks look great. If it's wednesday it must be time for primer!

Have you picked a launch date?

Bill

mbd
05-09-2007, 07:05 AM
We're tentatively set for June 4th.

What about you? How's your Spring commissioning coming along?

bill@ariel231
05-09-2007, 07:59 AM
I splashed last week but I haven't had time for anything more than an engine start and a battery charge.:(

mbd
05-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Looks like a really nice weekend coming up to remedy that! :)

mbd
05-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Boy does Tim work fast!

bill@ariel231
05-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Mike

very nice. what finish color(s) should we be prepared to see??

Bill

mbd
05-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Alexseal Snow White for the glossy portions and 1 part Interdeck Beige with 1 part Interdeck White for the non-skid...

epiphany
05-10-2007, 02:16 PM
So, who here is fully prepared to be extremely jealous of Mike when he gets his brand new boat back from Tim?

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/images/g01965art11.jpg

She's beee-yoo-tee-full! Like the color choices, too. WTG!

c_amos
05-10-2007, 03:08 PM
She is gonna look Great!

Can't wait to see her with the fresh paint on the decks.. :D

frank durant
05-11-2007, 05:49 AM
Kurt...can I take my right hand down now ???????????? ;)

ebb
05-11-2007, 07:14 AM
BON APPETIT MARINIERE!
Gorgeous cream bun there, mon.
Watch out for the cholesterol and the carbs!

mbd
05-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Heh! Indeed! Sadly, it doesn't look like Tim will be getting to the really really good stuff until next Tuesday. Virtually eternity! :(

BTW, does anyone have bronze cleats or lifeline hardware they'd really like to get rid of? :D

mbd
05-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Tim's web site has been down, but he's mercifully sent me some pictures!

mbd
05-16-2007, 06:00 AM
...and another.

mbd
05-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Thank goodness. Tim's site is back up! Non-skid goes on today or tomorrow!

mbd
05-17-2007, 07:31 AM
The cockpit before non-skid...

commanderpete
05-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Gosh...she looks...Virginal

Beautiful

How old did you say that boat was?

bill@ariel231
05-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Mike
That new non skid isn't going to dry with all of us drooling on your new paint.

Congrats she looks great
Cheers,
Bill

frank durant
05-17-2007, 11:01 AM
My right hand is STILL up :D

Tim Mertinooke
05-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Lookin' fine! Allow me to pull a Captain Obvious for a second as I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere before, but what paint/color did Tim use? Spray? Roll-Tip? You are giving me something to shoot for with those gorgeous pictures. Between you and Bill A-24 is certainly envious of her New England sisters, but now she knows what she could look like someday.

mbd
05-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Lookin' fine! Allow me to pull a Captain Obvious for a second as I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere before, but what paint/color did Tim use? See the post above: http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/showpost.php?p=15347&postcount=131

Tim's site referenced earlier as well has lots more details...

But wait, I have MORE pics! This just in...

mbd
05-17-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't know how I'm supposed to work these days!

frank durant
05-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Stop it !!!!!!! now BOTH hands are up !!!!!:D

mbd
05-18-2007, 11:16 AM
And the second coat of non-skid goes on, then the tape comes off...

mbd
05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Hatches, windows and hardware next. Sure wish I had nice bronze stuff worthy of this deck job... One step at a time. :o

bill@ariel231
05-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Mike (and anyone with a factory in-board)

are those big round cutouts in the lazarette bulkhead original?

Bill

mbd
05-18-2007, 01:31 PM
I assumed it was done by a PO. Does Periwinkle have them too?

MRH
05-18-2007, 01:34 PM
The latest pictures of Sea Glass may motivate some manufacturer to start producing these beauties again. Does anyone know if the mold still exists?

bill@ariel231
05-18-2007, 02:25 PM
On the Lazarette subject:
My lazarette bulkhead has a couple small holes related to plumbing and electrics. I was going to guess that's a previous owner's alteration to A-414. It probably helps lighten the stern a bit. Wouldn't be a good idea for the outboard folks.

On the "why don't we start production" subject:
With the exception of the Ensign, the 60's vintage pearson molds are gone (although a new mold could be pulled off a vintage hull). The Ensign is still in limited production by Ensign Spars.

there are other options for surviving molds for close cousins (Cape Dory relatives)...
CD25D & CD26 (Triangle Marine in R.I. owned by a current Pearson Triton Owner & Restoration guru)

Lucky Dawg
05-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Mike, your yacht is something else! Can't wait to see it put back together.

If some manufacturer would start making them again, that new Ariel / Commander would fetch a pretty penny. Any guess-timates? :eek: $35-40k?

mbd
05-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks Kyle! I'm hoping to make it up to Tim's next week to help him reinstall the dead lights and whatever else I can manage. I'm really really looking forward to seeing things put back together too! I can't wait to get sailing again. It was a long Summer last year...

tha3rdman
05-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Nice, and Motovating! #97 Just got pulled into the paint booth today, tommorrow everything should be preped fror primer on monday, I like the cream nonskid though the "great one" says it must be gray, she doesnt like the sand look.

tha3rdman
05-19-2007, 06:01 PM
A side note (i didn't want it to get lost in the previous post) That stripe (cove stripe?) along the top of the topsides, what is that design from?

mbd
05-19-2007, 06:37 PM
It a gold vinyl stripe from the previous-PO. I'm afraid that's all I can tell you, but I do like it - a lot. Breaks up the topsides and accents the shear nicely...

So gray non-skid? Cool! That's a nice look too. Sure is nice to see the pretty stuff go on!

ebb
05-21-2007, 08:12 AM
FYI. West M has a range of widths in vinyl striping tapes: Seafit.
There is Mylar metalic gold stripe tape by MDR from other catalogs but it comes in 3/4" only. $9 for 50'. Can't find other widths. Mylar would outlast vinyl, imco, depending on the adhesive too.

epiphany
05-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Mike -

Like Frank, both hands are up, and whatever color 'jealous' is, I am officially colored that shade, in a deep hue. :D

She's lookin' great!

dasein668
05-23-2007, 05:04 AM
Mike, you could always rout a real cove into the hull. I was going to do that when I redid Dasein, but time got short so I didn't get to it. The plan was to screw a batten to the hull as a guide for a hand-held router with a (duh :rolleyes: ) cove bit.

mbd
05-23-2007, 05:43 AM
That's not a bad idea, then you could just paint it. But I've got a myriad of other projects that would take priority over routing a cove stripe - like copying your toe rails and cabin sole, not to mention the topsides... :D

ebb
05-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Befor you rout a cove into the topside of your Ariel or Commander make damn sure you are not creating a zipper that will separate your top from the bottom again!

338 has about 3/16" thickness near the seam with about 1/8" at the seam.
I urge you to drill some holes to measure actual thickness along the proposed track of your cove befor you take a router to it.

There is no doubt that an incised cove line with real gold leaf in it has way more class than any vinyl stripe.

dasein668
05-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Good point. Dasein has a solid 1/2 inch or more at that location. And a routed cove doesn't need to be very deep. You just need the right bit.

ebb
05-23-2007, 07:41 AM
If you're thinking about this classy style of coving, you have a variety of corebox bits to choose from. Depending on the width of the cove, it's obvious that the wider the bit the shallower the radius in the rout. So as dasein668 sez, you don't have to go deep to get a nice effect.

I wonder what is the best width for a cove stripe? Anybody know? It could be too narrow, or too wide for that matter....?

And what the hell is a corebox? Isn't it a 'coving' bit?

Tim Mertinooke
05-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Here is some inspiration:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Forest/2727/images_flicka/flicka20_Hard.jpg

mbd
05-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Getting anxious to hit the water again...

Hull376
05-23-2007, 09:19 PM
I used 1/4" vinyl for the cove on 376 (look at the last few posts in the 376 gallery thread). Been on for 3 years and not coming off, not yellowing. Just make sure you don't have a fender rubbing right over it at the dock. Also, I didn't spend more than 45 minutes taping it on both sides (including making the pencil marks equal distance down from the rub rail). I'm lazy and planed to see how the vinyl looked before re-doing it in paint, but I really don't see why I should waste the time.http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=3867&stc=1&d=1168725909

bill@ariel231
05-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Mike

Sea Glass is looking great on Tim's site. What projects are left to complete after she leaves the shop?

cheers,
Bill

mbd
05-25-2007, 06:13 AM
Ho boy. Let's see, just off the top of my head: Commission engine, get zincs, install prop, bilge pump, put on the coamings, miscellaneous deck hardware including lights, install handrails, lifelines, varnish on the hatches, interior trim, bottom paint, number boards, vinyl name, rewire electric to mast, etc. etc. :confused:

At least the BIG stuff is done - and done right. :D

mbd
05-25-2007, 06:16 AM
Boy does Tim do nice work! I like this view - spartan, but oh the possibilities!

ebb
05-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Viz post 166
For inspiration lets turn our attention to Tim's masterful restoration of his Ariel.

While Bingham designed a couple masterful boats: Flicka and Allegra - that to me metaphorically have a cabin in the woods feel to them, pile of dry wood outside the door and a curl of smoke snaking out of a stove pipe sort of thing - The Ariel's and Commander's somehow transcend the folksey and picturesque and exist as living, animal, sinuous, sensuous, breathing art forms.

I think you can spiff up a Flicka with a coat of paint, but Tim has found a marvelous way to develop the relationship on a transcendant level. From this observers point of view I'm not just astonished with the craftsmanship in evidence but feel good and unstressed that another Ariel is alive and well and off the endangered species list.:rolleyes:

bill@ariel231
05-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Mike

was yesterday the install day for the portlights?:)

Bill

mbd
05-31-2007, 06:45 AM
Hi Bill. Ummm, yes it was. Everything went relatively smoothly and came out great - except my color choice for the aluminum deadlight frames. Tim hasn't posted his pics yet, but lets just call it the "undercoat"... Sure wish I had bronze portlights! :o

On the other hand, we hooked up the Yanmar and she started first try. Not bad after a year and a half in the side yard! :)

bill@ariel231
05-31-2007, 07:09 AM
That's good news on the Yanmar. SeaGlass looks ready to splash real soon. Outside of running rigging she looks ready to go.

mbd
05-31-2007, 07:14 AM
Heh! Let's just say, Tim has done his part to get her ready - and then some! The decks look really fantastic! I couldn't be more pleased.

Regardless of my readiness, splash day is Monday... :)

Tim Mertinooke
05-31-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm excited for you! I hope you have an uneventful splashdown and that everything works out as planned. You are gong to have a blast this summer I'm sure.

BTW-I'm still interested in having some sort of Rendezvous this year.

mbd
06-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Thanks Tim. I'm really looking forward to getting back out there - toddler challenges and all...

So the port lights are in. I'm sure Tim L. was real pleased to see me take these beauties out of my car to put them on his classy deck job! The night before, I had visions of Ebb's subtle gray powdercoated frames with an added hint of color. ...Rustoleum Gray Lavender. Let's just call it an "undercoat". :o

bill@ariel231
06-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Mike

don't worry about the frames, the Seaglass looks new! she's weather proof and ready to splash. plenty of time to paint once she is in the water.

best of luck on launch day.

cheers,
bill

mbd
06-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks Bill! Sunday is "bottom paint and whatever else I can get done before we splash" day. Should be interesting. :)

Tim Mertinooke
06-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Do we need to remind you to post pictures?

mbd
06-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Of course not! I mean, come on, I just posted my purple portlight frames! Launch day will be a joy... hopefully.

Tim Mertinooke
06-02-2007, 03:48 AM
Ya know, taking a close look at your boat and Bill's (231), I'm thinking A-24 will do the beige non-skid when the time comes. It just looks awesome! Don't get me wrong, the "Alberg Purple" is nice too, but Sea Glass cornered the market on that one...;)

BTW- Assuming all things go well with A-24, we plan on being up in the Casco Bay area the first or second week of August so pencil us in for a rondezvous at Jewel Island. I have fond memories of hiking all over that island. We also scored a CQR anchor there that someone abandoned after unsuccessful attempts to free it from a mooring chain it was jammed into.

Can you picture it...
http://www.boatmaine.us/pictures/articles/jewell/viewfeatured.jpg

http://www.boatmaine.us/pictures/places/jewell1l.jpg

An Ariel cousin enjoying Cocktail Cove...
http://www.stonehill.edu/compsci/bdugan/summer2002/IMGP0213.JPG

Anyone else game?

dasein668
06-04-2007, 06:37 AM
Well, Steve Morse should be putting Mike in today: and of course, its P-O-U-R-I-N-G. Here's hoping for a smooth launch!

mbd
06-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Well that was fun...

Thanks Nathan - I can't help but feel our homage to the boat name gods last night paid off. It was a very wet and windy, but thankfully uneventful splash after a year and a half. Here's the latest picture from Tim's website - she's on her mooring now. Woo hoo! Sorry, no action photos of the launch - it was way too wet. I'm going to have a beer or five now. :D

bill@ariel231
06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Mike

Congrats! Glad she's wet. Hope you have dried out. It's pouring here too...

Did you repaint the portlights sunday? they don't look lavander colored on Tim's site.

Cheers,
Bill

mbd
06-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey Bill. Yeah, we spent a lot of valuable time yesterday and that little project. Bronze rustolium spray paint was the choice this time around. They came out real nice. Not as nearly as nice as your bronze, of course! It'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

dasein668
06-04-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm going to guess that you've got yourself an annual chore, Mike. But maybe not. Did you acid etch and chromate prime those ports before the first coat of paint?

mbd
06-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Nope. They were ground and buffed, then I primed them with an aluminum primer, then a gray lavender undercoat :D , then the bronze spray paint - time and funds were short. So, you're probably right Nathan, but I hope you're wrong. Time will tell...

How have your properly pre-treated frames held up?

mbd
06-04-2007, 06:52 PM
For comparison to the earlier post here: http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=4163&stc=1&d=1180709190

This is how the frames look now:

mbd
06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Another shot from this morning. Too bad a topsides job wasn't in the cards! Tim's work had drawn to a close, so yesterday, me and my friend spent all day doing the bottom, boot top, repainting the window frames, applying the new name and whatever else we could to get ready for the launch today.

mbd
06-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Here's a BEFORE from Tim's web page.

mbd
06-04-2007, 07:07 PM
...and AFTER. What a transformation!

dasein668
06-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Nope. They were ground and buffed, then I primed them with an aluminum primer, then a gray lavender undercoat :D , then the bronze spray paint - time and funds were short. So, you're probably right Nathan, but I hope you're wrong. Time will tell...

How have your properly pre-treated frames held up?

I hope they hold up for you too. That said, touching up the paint every year wouldn't be the end of the world. Tim does it (with his clear laquer).

My frames are holding up very well so far. I used the Awlgrip system including etching and chromate priming with an LPU topcoat. After two full seasons I haven't noticed any issues at all.

Your boat looks great, Mike. Looking forward to seeing her out on Casco Bay this summer!

mbd
06-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks Nathan. I'm really pleased with how it all came together.

Good luck with your launch on Wednesday. The weather is looking MUCH nicer! Heck, it might even be pleasant out there!

mbd
06-04-2007, 07:41 PM
BTW- Assuming all things go well with A-24, we plan on being up in the Casco Bay area the first or second week of August so pencil us in for a rondezvous at Jewel Island...Tim, Jewel Island is a great spot - and, unfortunately, a well-known one. My sailing is mostly on weekends and I don't think you could even get near there on a weekend in the middle of the season! It might be OK during the weekdays, but I'm afraid my vacation time is mostly spoken for this year. Keep me posted on your schedule though, I may be able to find you a mooring in S. Portland. We could have a mini get together on your way up the coast...

dasein668
06-05-2007, 04:19 AM
Well, at least it looks like it won't be miserable!

Back to Whitefield one last time today to wrap up a few odds and ends, then hopefully sailing on Thursday or Friday!

Tim Mertinooke
06-06-2007, 04:45 AM
[quote=mbd;15617]Tim, Jewel Island is a great spot - and, unfortunately, a well-known one.[quote]

True, but what a sweet spot it is. For me, it's good memories, that's mostly why it came to mind. I am interested in tapping local knowledge to find other spots however. As the summer progresses, we'll chat and figure something out...

dasein668
06-06-2007, 06:13 AM
It might be OK during the weekdays,

I tried to go in there on a Wednesday in October two years ago and it was too crowded for my taste. I could likely have found a spot to anchor but there were 5 or 6 other boats in there so I just went back to Cliff Island.

mbd
06-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Well, she's coming together, bit by bit. I got the coamings on this weekend. Mast stepping should happen next Sunday. I'm waiting for my lifelines to arrive. Oh, and I suppose I should put some sailing hardware on the decks to... :)

mbd
06-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Sure is nice to be able to putter around on the boat again - in the water, as opposed to the side yard. I'm on a mooring now. It'll be nice too not to have to worry about backing out of a slip...

ebb
06-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Varsta Brud!

Tim Mertinooke
06-12-2007, 04:21 AM
Looking Good! No one would ever guess she's forty years old.

"I'm on a mooring now"
My preference for sure especially in the river I am in.

You and your family are going to have a great summer on that beauty.

bill@ariel231
06-12-2007, 05:00 AM
Good to see her in the water. The coamings look great. When does the mast go up??

dasein668
06-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Looks nice Mike. You need to get some weight forward though to get her rear up a bit. How about some nice chain rode in the anchor locker?

Get her in sailing shape and I'll meet you somewhere for lunch!

mbd
06-12-2007, 09:36 AM
She's riding a lot better than last time she was in the water. One big difference is that I was able to get the lead pig out of the bilge (67 lbs). I relocated it to the chain locker in the bow. That has helped.

A couple of more things will help as well: 1. Hopefully, stepping the mast Sunday will move a bit more weight off of the stern, and 2. I need to fill my water tank in the v-berth. 3. I still need to hang my anchor off the bow pulpit. I'm not crazy about this setup, but it's what I've got for now. But that'll move more weight forward too. 4. If all of that doesn't get her to ride on her lines, I'm thinking hard about relocating the batteries forward.

An anchor chain is a good idea - for multiple reasons. But first, I suppose I'd better get and install a new hawse pipe, although I just hate the idea of drilling into the decks! :)

Meeting for lunch sounds great sometime! :D

c_amos
06-12-2007, 10:42 AM
She looks great Mike,

I would fill the water tank before you make too many other decisions about how to get the bow down. I see a fair difference between it being full and empty.

tha3rdman
06-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Ahhh soon, soon ours will be in the water . . . Looking good though.

frank durant
06-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Very FINE lookin vessel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Mertinooke
06-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Mike, did you put the mast up yesterday or is that happening this weekend? Also, what are your "first trip of the season" plans?

mbd
06-19-2007, 05:18 AM
We got the mast up Sunday afternoon along with two others at the club. No major mishaps, fortunately, other than me pulling the unconnected masthead light wires into the mast when trying to secure the wires at the base for connecting later. I was so annoyed about that I forgot to connect the antenna for the radio...

Our "first trip" plans are not nearly so ambitious as yours, Tim. I'm just planning nice short day sails and work my way through the "kinks" before I head too far with the family. I'm insanely jealous of your Summer work schedule!

Tim Mertinooke
06-19-2007, 06:06 AM
I'm insanely jealous of your Summer work schedule!

I worked at a yacht club as a steward and launch operator while in college at the yacht club we are now members of. It gave me a real opportunity to meet great people and observe many different life styles. There were those with the large beautiful yachts, yet they were too busy and stressed to use them as they were working too hard to pay for them. They would get used during the "planned" weekends when it was raining anyway so it was miserable for them I'm sure. Then there were those who had smaller, less polished boats that were paid for, and their work schedule allowed them to spend more time onboard. They seemed the happiest and I liked the idea of sailing a small unpolished boat that's paid for all summer, all over the place, rather than being a slave to say a $100,000 Cape Dory 36 attached to a mortgage. I looked for the best job to fit this criteria and fell into teaching. As challenging as my job is (and it is), the perk of summers off is unbelievable at times. Fortunately my wife works as an elementary school teacher in the same district so our schedule is the same which allows us to be together all summer.

We are still planning on going up to Casco Bay this summer Mike, and I would love to get our families together. I will certainly keep you updated. I'm glad you got the mast up with only a little annoyance. When we put our mast up last weekend I accidentally had the backstay passed through the space between the masthead and the spreader despite having checked everything before lifting. It wasn't until I started attaching the stays that this error was obvious. Needless to say it took some creative throwing, pulling, untwisting, etc. to work it back to where it needed to be without compromising the supports holding up the mast. I had temporary stays up as we reworked everything. It was stressful and frustrating that such a small oversight could lead to such a situation. We have ALL had interesting experiences with our boats and those experiences add to the lore that goes with owning one. Besides it makes for great beer talk down the road. I'm loaded with stories about things I screwed up, broke, lost, or put on wrong so be prepared when we do have beer talk :)

mbd
06-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Mmmmm... Beer. :D

Keep me posted on your schedule. Weekends are pretty limited in the Summertime for us 9-5ers... And BTW, where the heck does N-I-N-E to 5 come from?? My freakin' work day starts at 8! :mad:

mbd
06-24-2007, 07:05 PM
The shakedown sail...

mbd
06-24-2007, 07:10 PM
...with my friend Scott. No genoa tracks installed yet, but the stanchion bases worked just fine.

mbd
06-24-2007, 07:12 PM
The family sail...

mbd
06-24-2007, 07:16 PM
With company of course.

mbd
06-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Tucked in at the end of a busy day...

dasein668
06-25-2007, 06:12 AM
Glad to see you've got her out. I just came here to ask if you had been sailing yet, and I see that you have!

I sailed up to Portland yesterday and thought about heading up the river to see if you were on the boat, but decided to head up the ship channel instead.

She looks good in those pics. You must be very happy!

mbd
06-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Too bad, we were there all day. It'd have been nice to see you. Nonetheless, it was a good call to stay out in the channel. That's basically where we had to go to find some steady wind. The Fore River was quite "flukey". We finally just motored out to Ft. Gorges where we caught a fresh and steady sea breeze coming up the harbor, then headed towards your neck of the woods on a nice beam reach. Great day! :D

dasein668
06-25-2007, 06:56 PM
I used to sail a 60 foot charter boat out of DiMillos, so I'm familiar with Flukey and Fore River being in the same sentence! That's why we decided to just head up the ship channel...

mbd
06-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Another shot from the first weekend back in the water. I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at these boats!

(Note: The mast is stepped, the water tank has been filled, and the lead pig relocated to the chain locker forward (67 lbs), and she's still not quite sitting on her lines... Oh well.)

bill@ariel231
06-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Mike

she looks about right to me (A-231 sits the same way with a 288lbs inboard and an aft mounted 12 Gal. fuel tank.). Is there anything in the aft most locker? Its a long moment arm from the CG of the boat. As a rule if I store anything more than a couple life jackets and a deck hose back there the boat squats a bit....

one other question: Where are you batteries & fuel tank located?

Bill

mbd
06-29-2007, 09:37 AM
I've only got my fenders and dock lines in the aft locker. The fuel tank is under the cockpit in front of the tiller post, which doesn't help. I think I recall reading in my Yanmar manual that the 2GM weighs in at around 225 lbs or so. (??) The batteries are at the forward end of the port cockpit locker. Those beasts are on my "someday" list to move forward. Also, I should still get some good ground tackle (chain) as Craig suggested previously.

In any event, a topsides paint job is also on my "someday" list, and I'll fix the boot stripe then. By then, hopefully, I'll have had more chance to shift things around, though I am running out of options. Not that I'm complaining by any means. It's good to be sailing!

So have you guys been out much in Periwinkle this season?

bill@ariel231
06-29-2007, 10:14 AM
The locations of your batteries and fuel tank match A-231. I've found that storing the sail bags forward in the vee berth helps with the trim too..

been off the dock 3 or 4 times with our boat. we'll be on the edge of the tall ships parade this weekend if schedule permits... If it happens we'll post some pictures. :)

Tim Mertinooke
06-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Another shot from the first weekend back in the water. I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at these boats!

It's floating art. She looks great! I really like how the name came out, nice and simple with a perfect arch (or elipse, can't tell from that angle) Enjoy!

frank durant
06-29-2007, 02:04 PM
You are right..."never get tired looking at them" !!!!!!!!!!! Bonus is they sail great too;)

dasein668
06-30-2007, 06:57 AM
In any event, a topsides paint job is also on my "someday" list, and I'll fix the boot stripe then. By then, hopefully, I'll have had more chance to shift things around, though I am running out of options. Not that I'm complaining by any means. It's good to be sailing!

By that time your boat load and trim should be fairly well established, so take lots of pictures and paint the boat the way she really sits--regardless of how that compares to the "design" waterline.

Dasein's actual waterline doesn't quite match up with the scribed line either.

ebb
06-30-2007, 07:25 AM
I think it is probably a good idea to mark on the stem and stern where the designed scribed bottom line is/was - for future reference. This could be done with #6 - 1/2" roundhead bronze wood screws.
No matter how much paint gets on them there'll aways be a bump to remind you - and to trim to if necessary.

mbd
07-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Wow, was it a great day today!

mbd
07-14-2007, 07:15 PM
...really great!

mbd
07-14-2007, 07:17 PM
He didn't mind dippin' the rails at all. Now we just have to work on the women in the family...

bill@ariel231
07-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Mike
great pictures! your crew is going to thank you when that third picture shows up in his high school year book some day...
cheers,
bill

mbd
08-13-2007, 07:46 PM
I finally got the handrails mounted this weekend, and last week we got the traveler re-installed. But, the boat finally looks "complete".

mbd
08-13-2007, 07:52 PM
We celebrated by inviting some guests out for a sail. Add 4 adults to this and we just may have set an Ariel record. You'll notice, however, they're not in the cockpit. :D

ebb
08-14-2007, 06:27 AM
Bunch a cool kids there, they all look like future sailors, certainly Master Spyglass has a sailing ship in sight.
Nice job on the little details you notice in the photos. SeaGlass is a sweetie. The woman may just be a little jealous, that's all.

Here's to sailing on a Sunday afternoon with the kids!

You may now hold the record for souls on an Ariel....
but C'pete of Brightwaters has the all time for a Commander!

Press on, Mike, you done good!:D

mbd
08-14-2007, 08:16 AM
You may now hold the record for souls on an Ariel....
but C'pete of Brightwaters has the all time for a Commander!

Indeed, I know better than to try and compete with a Commander on that one! ...Although, we Ariel-ites could probably take 'em in a "cabin stuffing" contest. :rolleyes:

bill@ariel231
08-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Mike

great crew shot on the leeward rail. The most folks we've had aboard at one time is 6 adults (very crowded on the Ariel, it's probably much easier with Commander Pete's enormous 9' cockpit).

have you thought about adding lower lifelines? I'm thinking of doing the same (forward of the cockpit).

cheers,
bill@ariel231

mbd
08-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Hey Bill,

great crew shot on the leeward rail.
They have no appreciation for the benefits of sitting on the high side. They just like to get their feet wet when we plow through waves...

have you thought about adding lower lifelines? I'm thinking of doing the same (forward of the cockpit).
Yup. It's on my to-do list. It would save heaps of gray hairs.

mbd
01-11-2008, 12:05 PM
So, I've started compiling my lists of lists of things that need doing before Spring launch, and I was struck by a thought. I've had the boat since July 2005. This will be my first entire and FULL season of sailing her! Woo hoo!

So happy be-lated New Year everyone, and here's hoping that everyone is able to get their boats' bottoms wet this year! :D

Tim Mertinooke
01-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Great picture!

Don't forget about our rendezvous! If all goes as planned, we should be heading up to Maine soon after July 4th and won't come home until August. More details later, but it would be cool if we met up for a night on the hook.

BTW- I stock lots of good beer.

mbd
01-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the Fuji. ;)

Tim Mertinooke
02-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Mike, we are tentatively planning on leaving Newburyport July 7 and will be returning sometime around August 7. Weather permitting, we are going to start the trip one of two ways. The first will be to bounce up the coast doing overnights at the Ilses of Shoals, York Harbor, Little Stage Island Harbor, Biddeford Pool, Jewell Island, and then The Basin. The second scenario will be to do a straight shot from the Ilses of Shoals all the way to Cape Small, then on to The Basin. From the Basin, we plan to head north into Booth Bay, Muscongus Bay, and then into Penobscot Bay. I'm not sure if we are going all the way to Acadia this year like I want to as this will be my wife and son's first long voyage (four weeks), but we'll see. As far as the return trip, it may be one where we just try to get home in three days or bounce back down the coast taking our time. Again weather will play into this as will the crew's needs. As we get closer, more details will emerge obviously, but I wanted you to have a general time frame of when I'll be in the area. I hope we can coordinate at least one night on the hook together. There is a possibility that my friend in his CD27 will be with us as well as my parents in their S2. An Ariel will make it a fleet for sure! I'll be the one in a Ketch sporting a big grin!:cool:

mbd
02-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Hiya, Tim! Once again, I am soooo jealous! A month off?!?! Why oh why didn't I become a teacher??

My plans for this year are not nearly so ambitious. I've complicted things with the addition of a new crew member - "Teddy". I'm hoping to work up to a week long cruise sometime this Summer.

In any event, keep me posted on your schedule!

joe
02-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Your new crew is positively beautiful !! Will probably a great sail trimmer!

epiphany
02-19-2008, 05:27 PM
wE lyke yorr nEW cRewdoG its puRty -

moLly anD bUffeTt
thE cRewdoGs

mbd
02-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Heh! Thanks guys! I stopped short of calling him "crew dog" - that one's already taken. Besides, he has to earn that rank!

PS. Teddy sends Molly and Buffet a big "Grrrrrr.... woof!"
(Translation: "I can't wait to pee in grass instead of this white stuff or carpet!)

Tony G
05-03-2008, 01:22 PM
This is a great thread Mike. Everything from the 'survey' photos to the kids having a memorable blast. When you get the chance to read it begining to end its inspiration in a bottle for some of us. I don't know if I'll ever get that far North on the coast to bend elbows with you but South is surely in the plans. And yes, I do mean on the boat.

I just noticed in post #9 there apears to be light shining in from the cockpit lockers in the area of the foot well of the port quarter berth. Is that so or am I imaging it?

Any plans for what is going up front for ground tackle and associated equipment? Starting to finalize a sprit design here but not ruling out any other good ideas yet.

Looking forward to some new posts here.

mbd
05-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Hiya Tony,

Long time no pics! (hint hint)

I just noticed in post #9 there apears to be light shining in from the cockpit lockers in the area of the foot well of the port quarter berth. Is that so or am I imaging it?
Nope, there is a hole cut through the bulkhead there - a POs mod. I intend on filling it when the time comes to better separate the cabin from the engine compartment. But, it has come in handy when dealing with the batteries. (The squirrel from last year appreciated it too...)

Nothing special at all with my ground tackle, something I'll need to address this Summer.

It was kind of fun rereading the thread. I've been in a serious funk this weekend when I finally determined my overly ambitious launch date was a bit too optimistic. But looking a year back, I'll still probably be able to get in before I did last year. :)

mbd
05-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Launch tomorrow afternoon. Yippee!