PDA

View Full Version : "private message" bs

ebb
06-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey Bill,
If I delete the messages in the Private messages, why the hell are they still stored? What the hell is going on? IU feel cj=hallenged by this prissy bs. Why can't there be instructions in plain english? Huh? I just deleteed EVERTHING I could find and there STILL are "stored" messages. For the third boody time! I didn't ask for them to be stored - I di=on't want them to be stored - I just want then to go away. OK? You pooter people find this fun?

c_amos
06-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Tell us how you really feel. :D

For what it's worth, I find the PM feature to be a bit restrictive too, especally the 500 word limit.

I bet the stored messages you can't delete are the ones in your 'sent' folder. you have to delete those so you can get below the maximum 20 message limit.

willie
06-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Hey Ebb, Same here.
So how's the project going? Splashing 'fore long?

Ok, what i thought was interesting in the movie (since we're not pm'ing) was how they put the boat away, you know the drill. Now you gotta see the movie.

Man, i been wanting to get out sailing, always something else going on. Work's a *****. Plus the wind has been getting with it lately, last 10 days have been 30+ on the river. Not much fun riding a bull anymore. Waiting for smoother water....

Mike Goodwin
06-03-2005, 03:41 AM
In the private message area
Select in the 'Jump to Folder' , SENT.
Check all boxes at end of messages.
Go down and select delete and they are gone

ebb
06-03-2005, 04:04 AM
It's hard enough "erasing" messages someone has kindly taken the time to compose and send. Called 'delete' by the computer. But it is the totaling of the messages and the arbitrary (and to me unknown or unknowable) restrictions on their number and their classes of distinction.

Thanks, gentlemen, I have put the "sent messages" off on a train to their final solution. To answer a private message I have to erase the message I've received - because the SECRET tally nazi totals both as the set limit. I think this is stupid. Meaningless. What's the point? So for a while there I had to write in a kind of clipped shorthand. And I'm hard enuf to understand anyway! If the bloody word count HAS to be, THEN THERE SHOULD BE A SLIDING BAR OR COUNTER THAT TELLS WHEN YOU ARE APPROACHING THE LIMIT. But why the hell bother?

It so happens that I've gotten on to another boat site, and the 'private' option was used by a guy there, and lo and behold there's is none of this restriction there. The program this website uses to set up our exchanges is the best I've seen. The other store uses the same setup - so I know the 'private message' BOX can be changed to be more open and easier to use.

There are so many restrictions and compromises in social life, in the everyday world. My whole life I've wanted to get away from it all. Something keeps me in the chase. The PearsonAriel.Org has provided an outlet, a space for the dream to take hold, a palpable taste of freedom. Another frickin STOP sign in life upsets me. What in the world would I do without you guys? :eek: :D

c_amos
06-03-2005, 05:15 AM
The 500 word limit and the 20 message maximum are probably board defaults.

Probably set in consideration of the limits of server space, and the cost of maintaining the site.

My guess is that the 500 word limit was set by a fan of Winston Churchall who stated;

"Give me the battle state of the grand fleet, on one sheet of paper, this day"

on becoming First Lord of the Admirality in 1914.

I know this, as this quote hangs in a frame near my desk where I can see it. Not as a caution for others, but for me (as I am prone to be a bit verbose).

The quote was given me by my dad, it hung near his desk as well.

I like words too.

frank durant
06-03-2005, 06:02 AM
What would we do with out Ebb ??? His restoration insperation,wit, humour and now a "computer land watchdog" !!!! I too am frustrated by the 500 word limit...go to send a message...TILT..623...edit down...572...edit more 512..by now it looks" literary challenged " (which I am with out help) Cut some more...now 20minutes in for this one finger pecker , and the chopped message goes !!! I know Bill takes great pride in this site and puts much time into it. We ALL appreciate it GREATLY !!! Any simplication and loosing the 500 word limit would be REAL NICE !!!

mbd
06-03-2005, 06:53 AM
One question: Why even use the Private Message with its limitations when Master Bill has gotten the email option working?

frank durant
06-03-2005, 12:09 PM
simple answer MBD...I'm a dumb , computer handicapped ,and a Canuck to boot !!

mbd
06-03-2005, 12:17 PM
I only brought it up because I tried emailing, didn't work, Private Messaged, wrestled with the 500 character limit and other BS myself, etc. Then I bugged Bill, and next time I tried to email - it worked! Thanks Bill!

So you see - I suffered in silence... :(

Mike

c_amos
06-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Everyone welcome Mike...

"welcome Mike"

So you see - I suffered in silence... http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/images/smilies/frown.gif

MikeWe are with you man..... Arn't we group?

"You bet!, we are with you Mike!"

__________________________________________________ ___________

So, for all those concerned people in your life that say you spend too much time sailing the boat, working on the boat, talking about the boat, chatting online about the boat..... That you should go find a group.......

You already have. http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

commanderpete
06-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Awwww, I could quit anytime....honest

I'm too lazy to write much

But cleverly disguise that

by using

alot

of paragraphs

and pics

mbd
06-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Yes, my name is Mike. I have been on the list for over a year now and do not yet own an Ariel. I am ashamed. Truly.

I am a "Lurker", a non Ariel owner, and none too pleased about it, I might add.

I may not own an Ariel yet, but gosh darn it! I AM good enough! And I WILL be a good caretaker and steward of one of these fine vessels! I will be a sailor again! I will!

Sigh. Thank you for listening.

(Sorry, the sun is finally out today and the temp is in the 70's - I'm giddy.)

Bill
06-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Back today from vacation and glad to see you've all taken care of the private message matter :) Because we prefer you use E-mail, we limit the size of private messages. It's purpose is for short notes -- something like using channel 16 to hail and then switching to another channel. It's not there for rambling on and on and on . . . ;)

frank durant
06-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Daaaa...I finally figured out the e-mail thing !!! Do I get a star beside my name ?? ( and kept this under 500 words ) ...now...next concern...about the bikini clad deck girls ???

iceman
06-05-2005, 04:32 PM
I too would like to put a bullet through my hardrive/monitor at times but then
Id miss the Ariel/Commander mob..

Keep the sails full :)