PDA

View Full Version : Back to Commander

skylark
05-14-2005, 07:35 PM
After 19 years, I am once again the owner of a Commander. I am buying hull #227, Missing Piece, after the Shel Silverstein children's book. I owned hull #216, Skylark, for about 7 years before trading her for a Pearson Vanguard, which I still own. I guess I'm a bit crazy owning two boats but I couldn't pass this one up for $2200. I'm planning on taking my time doing some restoration and using her if my Vanguard becomes too much to handle. I could probably use the time on my Vanguard, but ever since I got rid of my first Commander, I've wanted one.
Fred Fuller

Wildcat
05-16-2005, 01:14 PM
that is a nice looking boat for $2200. how did you find her?

commanderpete
05-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Very nice. Congratulations.

You're not crazy, you're a Commodore

skylark
05-16-2005, 05:42 PM
It's an interesting story. A couple years ago I put an add for a Commander listed for $5000 on my for sale page of pearsonvanguard.org for 6 months-never even crossed my mind to inquire about it. Then a while later I noticed a nice looking Commander for sale while motoring through McKinley Marina on my annual visit to our other marina in Milwaukee. I keep Callisto, my Vanguard, at South Shore yacht club. I took some pictures of her and lusted after her, but didn't really think of buying another boat. Off and on I'd hear of a Commander at Cramer marine in Milw. for $5000. Then a few weeks ago I happened to look in the classifieds and saw a Commander listed for $3000. A couple weeks later it was down to $2500, so I called and went to see it. Someone who had two boats needed to get rid of one of them and I guess I needed two boats, because I now am the proud owner of Callisto, a 1964 Pearson Vanguard, and Missing Piece (probably to be renamed soon), a 1966 Pearson Commander.

Bill
05-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Fred has a great Web page for Vanguards: http://www.pearsonvanguard.homestead.com/files/index2.htm

mrgnstrn
05-17-2005, 06:36 AM
Given your situation, "Missing Piece" was, in fact, the missing piece in your Pearson Collection.

I would keep it if in your position.