PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley Marina

Tim61N
04-28-2005, 10:23 AM
I was checking out Berkeley as a possible new home for #382 after I get her fixed up. Looked like a nice spot to slip. Anyone have any insights on this marina? Can I get a slip or is there waiting list, general opinions, etc?
Also saw an Ariel over on M dock that was fixed up really nice, it was all white and looked like it had Kevlar sails!!! Anyone know who owns it? It had some interesting modifications.
I have been down working on #382 for the past week, getting her ready to trailer to the boatyard. I dropped the mast yesterday in the marina which was a bit hair-raising but successful I'm proud to say. If anyone is interested I can post more details on the procedure (and hindsight observations that would have made a couple things easier).
Thanks,
Tim
A-382

ebb
04-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Tim61N,
Blimey mate! of course it's interesting lowering the mast - and raising it too. Certainly cheaper, and way self-sufficient - it's what we all should be able to do. Hindsight and everything would be great, especially photos if you took them. Everybody should be able to handle their mast and the more expertise and information the mo'betta it is for us all. Thanks :cool:

Bill
04-28-2005, 12:17 PM
The Berekeley Marina.

Good: It's close to the Central Bay

Bad: It's direcly in line with the Golden Gate, and because of the strong winds in summer, getting in or out can sometimes be a bear. Weather is very cool in the summer. Did I mention that the wind is aways blowing in the summer?

Calmer and more Mediterranean would be a slip on the Estuary, in Richmond or in Sausalito. Not sure about slip availability or cost, except at the Fortman Marina in Alameda (on the Estuary). Slips are very reasonable and available. You can also slip next to three (four right now) other Ariels! Good Company, as Joe Antos and Ed Ekers are great sources of information.

mrgnstrn
04-28-2005, 05:24 PM
I dropped the mast yesterday in the marina which was a bit hair-raising but successful I'm proud to say. If anyone is interested I can post more details on the procedure (and hindsight observations that would have made a couple things easier).

Yes, please do tell about dropping it, and also about raising it when you get to where you are going. My mast was dropped by the yard last summer, and WOW! was that an unbelievable bill for soooooo little real work on their part. I would like to avoid another bill like that when I go to step it again.

Bill
04-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Yes, please do tell about dropping it, and also about raising it when you get to where you are going. My mast was dropped by the yard last summer, and WOW! was that an unbelievable bill for soooooo little real work on their part. I would like to avoid another bill like that when I go to step it again.

Start here: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=935

and then search some more on "mast" . . .

Bill
05-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Posts on stepping the mast moved to: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=935