PDA

View Full Version : does anyone in da house race their pearson competitively?

Wildcat
04-20-2005, 09:49 AM
i'd be curious to hear how commander owners assess their boats general racing characteristics. thanks

commanderpete
04-21-2005, 04:46 AM
She's quite respectable reaching.

I found I couldn't point as high as the fin-keelers. Kinda slow running dead downwind.

The boat likes decent wind. Unfortunately, the wind tends to die out after sundown around here, halfway through the Wednesday night race.

Got a bit discouraged. I'll be back when I've got the boat tricked out some more.

Last two years I've been racing on my friend's boat. Don't have to worry about the boat getting crunched.

c_amos
04-21-2005, 06:09 AM
But I will.

I am not a racer, but I race.

I 'participate' in the regattas that my yacht club holds. Faith is definitely in cruising trim, and I make no concession for racing.

The base PHRF of 261, with adjustments for the outboard left down, and what ever else they are giving me put me in the field.

I finished 6th of 18 in the Fall series, but admittedly that has as much to do with the fact that I went out when most had more sense, and elected to stay at the dock. :eek:

The spring series, 2 of the 3 races of which have been cancelled, finds me 5th of 8, but both of those results are on my old bagged out main, and either the tired headsail I blew out in a race in the fall series, or the working jib I flew from a wire sewn into the luff that made do while I waited for new sails.

Excuses... excuses.... excuses... :rolleyes:

I am not a competitive person, but like to go around the marks because I feel like it is making me a better Sailor. I usually race single handed, but draft crew from time to time (usually hapless dock walkers).

You really did not ask about any of that though.... :D

Oh yea. The boat. She likes wind. ;)

The more the better. Racing on the river, I find the ability to sail healed over into the shoals to be quite an asset. There is a guy on a Grampian 26 that regularly leads the big boats into the shallows.... and leaves them there. I don't have to worry as much about stuff like that.

(although there was one race where I did manage to run aground 6 TIMES!!!) :mad:

commanderpete
04-21-2005, 06:35 AM
They gave me a 253 PHRF, even with the engine dragging through the water.

SOBs

c_amos
04-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Take a look at;

http://www.phrfne.org/page

Specifically, about half way down the page here;

http://www.phrfne.org/page/567

The base for both the Ariel and the Commander are 261. You add to that if you drag your motor (6?).

Ourt club also adjust so the top boat subtracts and the last boat adds points throught out the season. I have not gained any points as I have never finished last. (maybe I should consider that) :p

Wildcat
04-21-2005, 01:56 PM
thanks gents. has anyone sailed either an ensign or an electra? i presume, in my ignorance, that the ensign is the hot dog of the fleet.

i like all of these pearsons, for different reasons. i think i will be more and more of a regatta sailor as time passes -- there's a very active sailing club nearby that eventually is going to be my scene.

i need a big cockpit (ensign, commander) and i just don't think my group is going to be overnighting anywhere. my wife holds, like, your basic airport hotel beneath all human contempt. i don't see her hunkering down in the humidity in a 40 year old sailboat.

maybe the thing to do is scare up an ensign. they seem to be a cult boat, you could re-sell if you had to

c_amos
05-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Won my first race today. :)

Rather small field just a Grampian 26, (DNF) Islander 36,(2nd) a Hunter 36(3rd) and 'Faith'. 10-15 knots of wind, still holding the jib sheets since I have not yet installed jib cleats :rolleyes: and no port genoa track! (just ran a block from the lifeline pad eye).

Kinda makes me wonder how she would do if I actually lifted the outboard out of the well?

commanderpete
05-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Way to go Craig. Pretty soon they'll be grumbling

c_amos
06-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks C'Pete,

Now before I post this you need to know the rest of the story about the first race..... the one where I ran aground 6 times.

I was SOOOooooo slow around the course, I had to radio the committee boat and request they remain on station to allow me to complete the race. I actually crossed the line after nightfall, and the club saved some BBQ at the docks for the committee boat and me.

That said,

This Saturday was the last of the series, and 'Faith' finished an overall second of a fleet of 10.

Grampian 26

Pearson Ariel

Hunter 33

C&C27

Islander 37

Morgan 33

Luger 21

Pearson 26

Hunter 37

Coronado 28

Irwin 41

The ole girl still has it, even with a (far) less then competent Capt., she can still show the bigger newer boats a thing or two.

Bill
06-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Now you're hooked for sure :D Next season, you will very likely correct out around second for the whole series. :cool:

commanderpete
03-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Last year I started racing on a Tartan 35. Harry the owner likes to make videos.

Now you too can experience the insanity

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3361409791764024589&q=harry%2Bmanko

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1285395637393738356&q=harry%2Bmanko&pr=goog-sl

iceman
03-18-2006, 12:00 PM
I like the videos
Tell Hank to keep em coming